Need a new radiator for my 87 442.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Near Detroit MI
I need to replace the radiator in my 87 Cutlass 442. Its leaking from the drain plug area and where it was struck by a bird causing a small leak (poor little guy). I would like to put in a good 2 core aluminum radiator as a replacement for the factory radiator. When I had to do this in the past on my previous Cutlasses I have never been satisfied with the fitment. My local parts store usually has a GM universal one for the car which works but I don't care for and it usually runs about $150. There is one on Gbodyparts.com (the Alradco Aluminum Gbody Radiator) and they are asking about $425 for that one which seems a bit expensive. I looked at one from Be Cool and they are also at the $450 price point which seems a bit pricey. I have also read some complaints about their fitment as well.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good 2 core aluminum radiator for my 87 442 that actually fits well for a decent price?
Thanks!

dacutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Near Detroit MI
Is everything the same on that? Do the trans lines use the same fittings, same cap, hoses etc.? Some folks on other forums say Modine isn't around any more. I can use that as a reference in any case. It also looks like on that radiator that the transmission line is below the lower radiator connection point. Not sure I'm a big fan of that.

Any recommendations on the thermostat temp with that radiator? I have a pretty much stock 307 in my 442.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I installed one of those Modine radiators years ago ( they are under a different name now ). I'm sure they cool just fine like what many say but I thought it looked like a bad joke in my nice car. I don't recall specifics on fitment, but I think you had to play around with the lower trans line to get it in. Overall I just thought it looked like I shoehorned in a cheap new plastic radiator in a nice old car which is exactly what I did. That didn't sit too well with me so I returned it and payed good money for a big-boy radiator.

BTW these 'Modine's' are single core.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Champion 3 core fits but has a stupid drain location and doesn't cool any better than the Modine single core. Do some measurements and look at the Griffin Dominator radiator rad, it is supposed to fit a G body.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just measured my current rad, 31.5" wide and is too wide to fit properly into the cavity. Just pick up the $299 Summit rad for your car.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
olds307 and 403 said:
The Champion 3 core fits but has a stupid drain location and doesn't cool any better than the Modine single core. Do some measurements and look at the Griffin Dominator radiator rad, it is supposed to fit a G body.

I tried that one too ( Champion were real dicks too ), including the 2 core version made by someone else. They both use the same made in China tanks. They both fit the same, which is to say they didn't provide anything resembling a factory fit. You can get em to fit, but if I'm expected to jump through hoops to get a 'direct fit' radiator to fit right, than it ain't no direct fit part. The Champion one leaked like a sieve at the trans line. The caps were very hard to remove and put back on. Typical China crap that we as American consumers are force fed to accept as a 'quality product'.

rocketengine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2013
I found a very good source for aluminum radiators on eBay. It is oscarsrads25. He is located in Phoenix, but will ship anywhere. His phone number is 602-575-4507 . He carries several brands and is very knowledgeable. It is worth a phone call to him.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Pretty sure that where I bought my 2 core rad. Does not fit like factory but cools better. You should be able to fit in a 31" wide rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor