Year of Manufacture plates- South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've been wondering....

Now, I have an original 85 442 that I bought new. I got all sorts of dealer trinkets and dealer badges and front license plate...all sorts of crap for it.

But I also kept the VERY FIRST license plate that was registered on the car. And now since SC is allowing YOM plates on cars I think 30 years and older, I've got a question about how they interpret these laws.

Here's my dilemma. It's actually the first plate the car ever saw, but the EXPIRATION DATE of 1/86 is on the plate. It would be nice to get the original plate the car came with next year when the car turns 30 in 2015.

Thing is, all 1985 plates had 86 imprinted in the bottom RH corner as 1985 was the first year the then-"new" plate design came into effect.

So will I be relegated to finding a 1984 plate with an 85 expiration date on it? I would find that rather stupid because my car wasn't even built in 1984, but then again, I'm in South Carolina.

Anyone deal with YOM plates?

Nov 4, 2012
I can't specifically answer your question but, I'm not sure if SC requires plate on front and back of the car or not, but here in PA we are only required to display a plate on the back, so what I'm going to do is-

I also have the original 1987 plate that my 1987 Buick was registered under, it came with the car. So what I'm planning on doing is register the car with antique plates (25 years old) and just put the antique plate on the back of the car and the original plate on the front. I've had multiple friends do this and they have never been given any issues by police for displaying a false license plate. Not sure if this is something you might be interested in doing, but just a suggestion.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for the tip

I was hoping just to re-register the car with its very own first plate. SC has used only one plate for YEARS now (1975). Just the back one. SC allows you to register the car with that plate number on antiques 30 years old and older as long as it's not on the "blocked" list (state senator, school plate, dignitary, bus plate, civil service, etc.).

Wasn't sure if anyone anywhere had issues with re-registering an antique with the original plate. I'll probably be dealing with someone who wasn't even BORN by that year anyway. :roll:

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Cops should know that the plate year marks the expiration of that plate so I wouldn't worry about it.
Also, most cops probably can't tell the difference between an Cutlass and a Monte to begin with let alone the specific year a 442 is by looking at it :lol:
I've ran into that quite a few times, had a few think my car was from the 70's even though the plate pulls up a mid 80's Cutlass :?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I was told that I could not register my 83 OHIO plate because it has the county and exp tag on it. So I ended up just getting the historical plates since its only required to have one on the rear. Atleast thats how it is in Ohio.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
I was planning to do this also, (Ohio) have not put plates on my car yet. Waiting for the snow to be gone. Was hoping to take the county and expiration stickers off the plate and use the plate from my original 87 442.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor