88 cutlass overheating after water pump swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
Hello, I had recently replaced the water pump on my cutlass with a new one. I noticed that the engine starts to overheat even if its idling. The coolant reservoir is constantly filling and draining it self. Does any one know what this can be?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds like it could be the wrong pump and one for a serpentine set up which runs the opposite direction. I had a similar problem with mine that turned out to be the problem. Right number on the box but wrong pump

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
The new pump is the right one. I got it from autozone and it matched up exactly with the stock pump. Is it possible that i didnt fill it up right or something. Air in the system maybe?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
chitownserb said:
The new pump is the right one. I got it from autozone and it matched up exactly with the stock pump. Is it possible that i didnt fill it up right or something. Air in the system maybe?
There's the problem, you bought it from Autozone. :D What Pontiacgp is saying is it may be the correct part#, but the impeller inside might be one for a reverse rotation pump for a serpentine setup. They look identical, just 1 pumps in reverse and 1 pumps in clockwise rotation.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
chitownserb said:

The only difference between the two pumps is the impeller. When you remove the rad cap can you see the coolant flowing?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Does Olds even have a reverse flow waterpump?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
DoubleV said:
Does Olds even have a reverse flow waterpump?
Yes. I have one on my 455 with the serpentine conversion. It's a stock replacement for the 4.3l v6 diesel engine.

However that pump does look different from the standard pump.

Before tearing everything back apart I would check that there isn't any trapped air in the system. Did you "burp" it when putting in new coolant? What does your coolant level look like?
I always fill the radiator up then start the engine and let it warm up until the thermostat opens. You'll typically see a lot of big fluctuations in coolant level as the trapped air is released. As the level goes down just keep adding a little coolant mix until everything finally settles down.
Then replace the radiator cap and put some coolant in the overflow and you should be set.

If that doesn't work then I would look at the possibility that the pump you have had the wrong impeller installed.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Was it running hot before you put on the water pump? Could be an entirely different issue, like a thermostat, or a plugged up radiator.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Most likely you have air in the system.

Although I wouldn't be surprised with the *ss hats at those auto parts stores and the sh*t parts they have to peddle... every time I walk into one I basically commandeer their computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor