Lightning rod trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
I am wanting to take the balls of my lightning rod shifters to have then refurbished. I can't get the center one off. When I try to unscrew the button to get the ball off....the cable tries to twist also. Does anyone know what I can do to get this apart?

85blacksalon

Apprentice
Oct 24, 2011
Hi don't know how to get it off but when you do gbody parts has the new balls with buttons for $60 w/o for 45

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
85blacksalon said:
Hi don't know how to get it off but when you do gbody parts has the new balls with buttons for $60 w/o for 45
Thanks for the info. There is an outfit that does hydro dipping that can dip them cheaper than that with cool graphics on them.

85blacksalon

Apprentice
Oct 24, 2011
I seen a video on that, that is cool as hell. I wonder if they could do all my dash trim, I hate the wood look.

turboaudi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2013
upstate NY
mine had locktite on the threads i heated the button & it came off easy but i was putting nos balls& buttons if you shield the ball you might be able to save them dave

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
85blacksalon said:
I seen a video on that, that is cool as hell. I wonder if they could do all my dash trim, I hate the wood look.
If you have Facebook check out Central Illinois Hydro-Grafx. They do some awesome work. I had them custom paint my lightning rod shifter bezel black and gold to match my car cause I hate the wood grain also.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
turboaudi said:
mine had locktite on the threads i heated the button & it came off easy but i was putting nos balls& buttons if you shield the ball you might be able to save them dave
When you heated it up did it discolor the chrome button?

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
rose350 said:
85blacksalon said:
If you have Facebook check out Central Illinois Hydro-Grafx. They do some awesome work. I had them custom paint my lightning rod shifter bezel black and gold to match my car cause I hate the wood grain also.
What did they charge you for doing that it looks goodw

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
sergio said:
rose350 said:
85blacksalon said:
What did they charge you for doing that it looks goodw
He initially told me $45 until he realized I wanted the gear selection masked off and the lightning rod embroidery masked off then the price went to $90 cause of the detail. It was worth it though considering they want over $200 for a remake.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
I also made my own under plate with brushes. This is what it looks like now.
temporary_zps2c71358f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor