Confused on belt routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
Hello, I have been replacing parts on my engine and I am very confused about the belt routing. Fist off I have a power steering pulley with one belt groove. Is this normal? Auto zone sells the double groove pulley. I tried putting the belt around the fan and alternator but get horrible squealing and low voltage. its a brand new alternator that works fine. Is this car supposed to have the double groove?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
chitownserb said:
Hello, I have been replacing parts on my engine and I am very confused about the belt routing. Fist off I have a power steering pulley with one belt groove. Is this normal? Auto zone sells the double groove pulley. I tried putting the belt around the fan and alternator but get horrible squealing and low voltage. its a brand new alternator that works fine. Is this car supposed to have the double groove?

It might help if you let us know what kind of car and what engine you are working on. pictures help also.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I will assume its an olds 307, I will also assume you removed the a/c belt. If this is true, put it back on, even if the a/c is broken. Otherwise your belt WILL slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor