87 442, Ohio Model-Year Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
Finally got plates for my car today, registered for Historical plates, and Model-Year plates (1987 plates) registered for it. Ohio has some odd regulations for these, I had to buy the Historical Plates, and register the Model-Year plates, and have to carry the Historical plates in the trunk. The Historical plates, you have 2 plates front and rear, but with the Model-Year plates I'm only required to run a rear plate only, even the guy at the DMV didn't know this, I had to show him on there own forms where it says that. Total the plates and registering the Old plate cost $33 and they are good for 50 years, no yearly fees nothing, I'm good now through 2064, now I hope my 442 and me are still running that long, I would be 104 by that time, hope I'm still driving my 442 also.

Mark

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
In TN we can also run MY plates when a car is registered as an antique. Our MY plates however, do not need to be registered. I bought some nice ones on eBay for my GN and the Cutlass. Didn't take me long to find out that most cops don't know the laws surrounding MY plates. Got pulled over about four times locally and once by a State Trooper outside of Nashville on my way to the Buick GS Nationals last year.

The first time a local cop told me he pulled me over for expired tags I said, "Really, 1988 is no good anymore?" :mrgreen:

I carry a copy of the statute with me and always present it with my registered antique plate. They learn something new and I'm sent on my way.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Interesting about only needing a rear plate if you're running with a model year plate. I may consider doing that to get the ugly front plate off my car but you know the cops are going to harass you about it so...

Mat1227, did you just recently buy your 442? I had a friend with a black 442 who sold it a few short years ago to one of his buddy's who then turned around and sold it about a year later. We're in roughly the same area so was wondering if that might be the same car. If it is, how are you enjoying my 307, carb, and radiator from my car? :lol:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
You also only need the rear plate with just the historical plates. I bought an 83 year plate but was told I could not register it. Im not sure why you could but I couldnt? I got pulled over about 2 years ago and asked the cop about the policy for historical plates needed in the front and he didnt know :lol: But my dad did bodywork for a cop and he told me it is only needed in the rear and they are pretty lenient about historical plates especially around here because alot of the cops have older cars as well.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
DoubleV, My car is Gray, for now, Black coming soon.
I bought this one last August in Akron, from the son of the original owner. He took the car from his 80 something year old mother (original owner) because he didn't want her driving any longer. He had it for 5 years and only drove it 1000 miles. The add on Craigslist said 1997 442 for sale, normally would not have even opened the add, glad I did, because it's a 1987 442. All of the original paperwork was in the glove box, including the original sales when new, window sticker, all maintenance done. It does have lower 1/4 panel, rocker panel 1 area of the floor rust that needs fixed. But it's all original down to the cassette holder in the console, and yes the Oldsmobile cassette is in there.

83MonteSS, there should be no reason you can't register an 83 plate on your car, I did remove all the stickers from the license plate, as the paperwork states they do not register the county stickers, or expiration stickers. Remove all the stickers and there should be no reason they wouldn't register it.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor