200r4 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
The transmission in my 87 442 has nice firm shifts. However, it doesn't fully go into overdrive. What I mean by that is I can feel it shift through all gears but once it gets into 4th and I am crusin at highway speeds my rpm's don't drop. I'll go about 65mph and the tach will read 3k where as in the Monte Carlo I had before would read 2,500 or so. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
87_442 said:
The transmission in my 87 442 has nice firm shifts. However, it doesn't fully go into overdrive. What I mean by that is I can feel it shift through all gears but once it gets into 4th and I am crusin at highway speeds my rpm's don't drop. I'll go about 65mph and the tach will read 3k where as in the Monte Carlo I had before would read 2,500 or so. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance
I'm not sure what you set up is but it sounds like something isn't right. I have an '85 442 with the same transmission and I tach about 2300-2500 at 65mph. Someone could have changed the gearing in it.

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
Everything is stock, at first I thought it was the kickdown cable. But once I adjusted it the problem was still there. I was talking to a buddy of mine about it and he thinks that it could be the lock up not properly working. But he's not 100% and neither am I. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor