car wont start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
hello, I'm having problems with my car. I was driving today and it just cut off on me. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I thought it was the timing chain so i swapped that out along with the fuel and water pump. it still had trouble starting so a buddy sprayed fluid in the carb and after about a minute of trying to crank it over it finally started up. I drove it about 50 miles and today after work it just died on me with no warning signs. Now it doesnt want to start again. I just don't get it. It was running perfect and then just cuts off like that. Does this sound like a clogged fuel filter or bad cap or rotor?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
check for fuel by looking down the carb and open the throttle, the accelerator pump should squirt the gas...if there is no gas it could be the fuel pump, a clogged filter will still let some fuel by..if you have fuel check for spark at the plugs...if you don't have any the backtrack from there, it could be the cap and rotor but it's more likely to be a bad wire in the pick up coil or the ignition module is burnt.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
"the pick up coil or the ignition modulator is burnt."

I never heard of a ignition modulator, is that tha thing right next to the Flux Capacitor?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Pontiac455 said:
"the pick up coil or the ignition modulator is burnt."

I never heard of a ignition modulator, is that tha thing right next to the Flux Capacitor?

thanks for picking up on my error..my mind was stressed when I posted that cause I was missing my blinker fluid... 8)

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
It seemed like carb cleaner sprayed into the carb was the only thing that got it going. I tried starting it many times with out doing it and it never kicked over. The cars stock with nothing done. Could this still be a issue with the ignition? would carb cleaner help with ignition?

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
chitownserb said:
It seemed like carb cleaner sprayed into the carb was the only thing that got it going. I tried starting it many times with out doing it and it never kicked over. The cars stock with nothing done. Could this still be a issue with the ignition? would carb cleaner help with ignition?[/quote}

No, carb cleaner is helping the fuel system. Either it's flooding fuel while it's running, or not getting fuel. Or the ignition is going out when the car warms up to a certain temp.
Here's a few quick ways to know what to search for. First, smell the tail pipe. if it smells like raw fuel, then you'll be looking for flooded carb or no spark from the ignition. No fuel smell means no gas is getting past the carb. Second, pull the no.1 spark plug. if it's black and wet, then you look at the carb.(float stuck open...etc ) If it's clean or tan and wet, then you look at the ignition.(module, coil, wires, plug gap...etc) If it's dry, then your looking at the carb again.( Fuel not getting to carb, plugged up fuel filter, fuel not getting to the pump....etc)
Hope this helps.
T

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
I just got back in from changing out the fuel filter. I checked the fuel pump and all the fuel lines in the engine bay. The fuel pump and lines had fuel in them. The car still will not start. The fuel pump is brand new with about 50 miles on it so I dont think its the pump. It not the filter because its also new. Still the only way i can get the car running is with starter fluid or carb cleaner sprayed into the carb. The car turns right on but turns off 2 seconds later when the fluids burn out. If there is fuel to the carb and sparks are there why wont it stay running? its a 88 cutlass supreme classic with a 307.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor