Floor replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
My 87 442, needs the drivers side floor replaced, my question is, since it looks like the floor bracing is on top of the floor, do I need to place the new floor in from under the car then weld in? When I did my 71 Cutlass, the braces were under so they went in easily from inside the car. I've attached a picture, seems odd that the drivers side is bad and the passenger side looks like new.
Also the floor panels I've looked at online (Goodmark, Sherman) the Goodmark don't look like they come up to the door seal plates, but the Sherman do. Has anyone used either of these that can tell me if they do or don't come up like that?

Mark

Attachments

• 0408141837reduced.jpg
    0408141837reduced.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 2,661

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Here is what i would do. I just finished a floor job on my GN. I would cut the center brace at the hump and throw away all that rotten metal. I tried to replace in sections the front and rear floor pans and regret not replacing the entire pan, as I was chasing small rust holes under the support. Aftermarket seat supports are on the way which is what I put into my car. Too bad your job isnt starting a couple months from now.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mat1227 said:
My 87 442, needs the drivers side floor replaced, my question is, since it looks like the floor bracing is on top of the floor, do I need to place the new floor in from under the car then weld in? When I did my 71 Cutlass, the braces were under so they went in easily from inside the car. I've attached a picture, seems odd that the drivers side is bad and the passenger side looks like new.
Also the floor panels I've looked at online (Goodmark, Sherman) the Goodmark don't look like they come up to the door seal plates, but the Sherman do. Has anyone used either of these that can tell me if they do or don't come up like that?

Mark

I got a good floor pan from a donor car when I replaced mine. The replacement floor pans are not the same quality of the original floor pan and the replacement pans do not have the seat brackets

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
thats how my ride was. the back floor was shot on the drivers side, i as well cut it out replaced that section thanks to tobyp. my pass was like new. it would be better if you could fined a donor floor.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
In NE Ohio, finding a donor car that has a floor is something if you could find one. I'm going to go to Summit this weekend, see what they have, hopefully in stock so i can look at it and make sure it will fit the way I need it to. Thankfully Summit is less than 30 minutes form me. It would be easier to put new seat mounts in if available, but I will cut the old ones out and reuse. I'll reply with what I find out at Summit this weekend.

I read on some posts previously that the power seat frame (mechanism) from a 60/40 bench seat would not work on our bucket seats. Unless I was mis-reading that. I have an extra power seat frame from an 87 Supreme Brougham, it fit perfect on my floor brackets, I have not tried to see if the seat bottom is the same yet. If it will fit, I will have a power seat for the passenger also in my car.

Mark

OCS

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2012
MN
Mat1227 said:
In NE Ohio, finding a donor car that has a floor is something if you could find one.

Being in MN, That's what I thought. But then this showed up on cl for less than a set of new pans
0113121618.jpg

0115121218.jpg

Sometimes things just work out

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
Ordered a Sherman floor pan half today at Summit Racing, (not in stock). Checked their discount area while in the store, found a set of Headers for our 71 Cutlass, for $60.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor