TH200-4r leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
I've taken it to the dealer three times now. Initially, they said it was a decomposed oil pan gasket, so I had them replace it. Weeks later, I brought it in again, as it continued to leak. They weren't able to find the leak, so I drove it back home. A few days later (and not to my surprise), the leak returned, so back I go. They said the leak was from the oil pan gasket, so they replaced it free of charge. Darn thing is still leaking. Any suggestions? It's from an 88 Cutlass Supreme.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Yep. Get under there and wipe it all down. Then, when you catch it leaking again, it may be easier to see where it's coming from.

Do you see any drips under there while it's running or does it seem to leave a puddle while it sits?

Besides the pan, other leak points are:
  • Rear seal
    Front seal (converter)
    Pump o-ring
    Filler tube seal
    TV cable seal
    Shift shaft seal
    Speedometer gear housing
    Cooler fittings/lines

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd go back to the dealer and demand my money back. You brought it in for them to check where it is leaking and they failed. Obviously changing the pan gasket was just a guess on their part. It's bad enough they wasted your gas money and time, they should have apologized to you instead of handing you an invoice. They are supposed to be professional technicians and they cannot even find an exterior leak on a 200 4R... :wtf:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
MeanBuicks said:
Yep. Get under there and wipe it all down. Then, when you catch it leaking again, it may be easier to see where it's coming from.

Do you see any drips under there while it's running or does it seem to leave a puddle while it sits?

Besides the pan, other leak points are:
  • Rear seal
    Front seal (converter)
    Pump o-ring
    Filler tube seal
    TV cable seal
    Shift shaft seal
    Speedometer gear housing
    Cooler fittings/lines

I use brakleen, blow it dry, lay down some cardboard, and see if anything leaks while sitting there. If not, the start it up and check again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor