Car shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bad911

n00b
May 9, 2014
I have an 86 old cut supremes brougham sedan with a 307, I have to pump the gas pedal to get it started sometimes and when I floor it while driving it hesitates or shuts off, any suggestions on what the problem is?

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Start with the basics. Have you changed the fuel filter? Sure the fuel pump is healthy? With those two out of the way, you'll have to scrutinize the carburetor. Perhaps the float bowls are not staying at the proper level.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You could probably use a carb rebuild and a tune. Accelerator pump probably shot amongst other things.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
try some snake oil... lol... but seriously, my bu sputters, coughs, acts like she isnt getting fuel every few months... SHE HATES THIS ETHANOL FUEL... I found using a bottle of "star tron enzyme fuel treatment" fixes the problem... actually just added a bottle yesterday, and my bu is back to spinning the tires... normally i try to avoid snake oils, but i watched a few videos, read a bunch of reviews and my buddy that works at NAPA swears by the stuff, so i gave it a try and it worked... it is suppose to cure problems caused by ethanol... and its very clean burning, saw in one of the vids they dripped some onto glass, lit it, and after it burned off there was no oily residue...

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
mine "coughs" on hard acceleration, will stall if i dont take my foot out of her quick, its almost like as soon as i hit the gas, someone turned the key off... and when driving a steady speed, lightly on the accelerator, just enough to hold say 30 mph, she sputters like she has a clogged fuel filter, cant tell you how many times i changed the dang fuel filter hoping it would help... then i spent $10 on that star tron fuel treatment and all problems STOPPED.... i mash the gas and my old tired 3.8 229 spins the hell outta the tires... my wife couldnt believe the change in the car, her exact words were "all the time you spent trying to fix this ****in thing and all you had to do was add a bottle of blue crap"... then she laughed at me... (so i put her in the trunk) not really, but i wanted to... ANYWAYS, i have found, the older the car, and the more it is driven, the more they tend to hate corn gas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor