Replacement rubber inserts for side molding

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2014
I am looking for a source for the rubber inserts that fit into the riveted protective side moldings for my 87 Cutlass. The ones I have are deteriorating and are hard to keep looking presentable. The chrome rails are in great shape. The inserts I have are light blue in color. Any thoughts?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
They are not factory moldings so finding a replacement to an aftermarket part is going be difficult since they're one off...
If it were me I would remove them if possible and replace them with aftermarket adhesive ones to look more like the factory since there is really no way to fix the issue with inserts that I am aware of and you have to deal with rivet holes.
My suggestion is a Google search... you might be able to find some sort of vinyl trim that can act as an insert.

The aftermarkets are 5/8" wide vs. the factory 3/4", not sure if you can still find them though... I know aftermarket black was available a few months ago with a texture to it but colors were discontinued a few years ago.
Stuff for these cars is slowly disappearing, www.rockauto.com is slowly drying up with replacement parts for these cars, I get closeout emails once a month.
Sucks...

One thing I do have is light blue vinyl side molding, it's about 1 1/4" wide but you might be able to fashion it somehow...

May 21, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I've tried quite a number of Google searches to no avail, so far. I understand that the moldings are not factory but they are installed over a factory paint job that still looks great. I want to avoid adhesive strips if possible, hence my post on this venue. Still looking for a source.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor