307 to 350 motor mount problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
Im having problems with the motor mounts the bolt holes wont line up, and its not off my much. The new mounts are from auto zone ANCHOR Part # 2328 Rock auto calls for the same part number.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Never known a motor mount to be off depite the awsome China junk most places sell. Sometimes an engine just likes to be stubborn and fight you a bit going in. We dropped a 403 in my friends car a couple of years ago. MFer would not go in. If we didn't know any better we could've sworn the mounts were 'off' but we knew better. Kept prying, poking, and pushing, then 'boom' it fell right into place.

If the engines already in and you just can't get one mount to line up, try using a drift. How far off are you by the way?

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
DoubleV said:
Never known a motor mount to be off depite the awsome China junk most places sell. Sometimes an engine just likes to be stubborn and fight you a bit going in. We dropped a 403 in my friends car a couple of years ago. MFer would not go in. If we didn't know any better we could've sworn the mounts were 'off' but we knew better. Kept prying, poking, and pushing, then 'boom' it fell right into place.

If the engines already in and you just can't get one mount to line up, try using a drift. How far off are you by the way?

The engine is in and trans is bolted up,cant get the bolt in any mount, it seems the frame pad is hitting the mount, its off but not that bad, was just thinking about drilling it

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I recommend taking out the trans mount....then the motor mounts will line up with the pads, unless you have the pads in opposite side of where they should go...easy mistake to make. 350 mounts will not work with 307 frame mounts, just so ya know....been there, done that... :puke:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
350 mounts should be the same as 307 mounts. There should be no difference. The only time you run into an issue is on the older cars that had a big block option and you start mixing small block frame mounts and big block engine mounts or vice versa.
In fact, the replacement mounts for a '76 Custom Cruiser with a 455 is the same part as the replacement mounts for a '76 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 and a gbody with a 307.

*edit* Clarification. You really want to buy engine mounts that match the frame mounts of the car the engine is going into and not for the year/chassis the replacement engine is coming from. The '68-'72 A - body's did use different mounts between small blocks and big blocks. GM apparently started to standardize the mounts later on in the '70s between the different models.

As said above, these things can fight you going in but it will eventually line up with enough wiggling. I don't know that I've had an engine yet that didn't fight me while trying to line up the mounts.

Blew86442

Greasemonkey
Mar 8, 2012
He has the mounts for an 86 cutlass w/ 307 on his early 70's Olds 350 now installed. Front to back (vertical) alignment is perfect. The inner-bottom of the motor mount is resting on the frame motor mount pads, on both sides, not allowing the holes for the bolts to line up horizontally. It almost looks as though there is too much rubber material on the new motor mounts. This is causing about a 3/16" horizontal misalignment, again on both sides. Can he not just shave a little of the rubber material off the inside of the new mounts and be done with it?

Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Got the mounts on upside down :lol: ? I would consider just getting a new set of mounts and comparing them to the ones you have to see if there's any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor