Under hood light modified

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Was just sitting here thinkin about the underhood light on my cutlass. Seems GM didtnt really do much (other than the minimum) when it comes to the size of the light they used under the hood. Not only was the bulb small for the amount of light projected across a very large area under the hood, but the placement of the light itself is horrible for its overall use. Im thinking about adding another one, on the passenger side in a bout the same location from side of hood, as on the drivers side. First off, has anybody done this? second off, can I splice another light into the one I already have? Both would have mercury switches, I just wasn't sure if two would overload the wiring being used for just the one right now.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought a pair of later model GM lights from Ebay, they have a built in braided ground strap but otherwise look like the factory Gbody lights and are mercury switches.
I have both tapped into original wiring but have them wired to a on/off rocker switch on my inner fender so I can turn them off when I drive so they don't come on at full throttle.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,979

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I don't even have one

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
mebe007 said:
I don't even have one

they were options, my car didn't have one either......................I added it, but one seems to be quite insufficient. Hence, my wanting to add another.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
or you could be lazy and just order that size bulb in chinese made l.e.d... those damn things are freakin bright, i replaced my dome light with a little 2" by 2" pad of leds, and its insanely bright... it reminds me of the flashy thingy in men in black... i'll have to take a pic and post it... its funny, someone next to me opens their door and a dim pale yellow light barely silhouettes the inside of their car, i open my door and my car glows bright white... the diffence from old to new is insane... i have been debating on running a light for under my hood, but i am going to be buying a cowl hood soon, so i figure i'll wait...

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
yeah I might do that also or instead. Those LED bulbs are super bright and half the energy usage.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
tonight, after it gets dark out, i will take a picture of my malibu with the stock bulb, and one with the led to show the diffence...

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
565bbchevy said:
I bought a pair of later model GM lights from Ebay, they have a built in braided ground strap but otherwise look like the factory Gbody lights and are mercury switches.
I installed a pair of lights 10 years ago and didn't bother to wire them up until a couple of weeks ago. And then they didn't work until a test ground from the hood to the rest of the body was added. The braided ground strap sounds like a good idea but what ever works...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for obvious reasons I would think a ford product would have the best under hood lighting

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
pontiacgp said:
for obvious reasons I would think a ford product would have the best under hood lighting

LOL I gotta remember that one !

All the Stock hoods I have seen are actually drilled with holes both sides to install the light. I have 2 lights, both stock on the same line. On mine I wired in a bullet connector so I can unhook the light when working underhood for a long time
I recall being told somewhere over the years the lights were only bright enough ( and installed ) the same side as the dipstick to check your oil at night. I find that the 2 lights installed its enough light for me. Otherwise I have an LED flashlight in the glovebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor