Hood Trim Restoration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Hey all, I am trying to fix up my hood. I purchased the clips for center hood trim from gbodyparts but does anyone know where I could get the rubber washers that go with clips to isolate the clips from the hood?

Try your local hardware store in the plumbing dept. I've used bib washers (faucet) for valve stem gaskets already.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
What about the gasket or seal that runs the length of the trim...I don't want to use gasket material, the old one seems like thick wax paper. Anyone ever replaced this? If so what did you use?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
84cutspreme said:
What about the gasket or seal that runs the length of the trim...I don't want to use gasket material, the old one seems like thick wax paper. Anyone ever replaced this? If so what did you use?

When I painted my aluminum hood I was really worried about this. A local restoration shop owner in my area told me to put the stainless trim on without the crappy plastic underlay and said it wouldn't be a problem. He said that most older vehicles have trim mounted directly on a painted surface. I was worried about vibration, scratches, etc. but it hasn't been an issue. After all, GM had it there for a reason right? With that said, I'm going on 3 years now without a problem and I think it looks better without the underlay.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The hood insulator actually was a clear plastic part that aged horribly, GM p/n 22506825. It dried, cracked, split, turned brown, disintegrated away...nasty. But there IS the slight chance that vibration could wear the paint away in some areas of the molding, hence the insulator. The parts book said they were used only on aluminum hoods, but that's plain BS. Every original G-body Olds hood had them that I've seen.

Attachments

• hoodmldginsulators.JPG
    hoodmldginsulators.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 311
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor