Vid of my new engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
If ya got some time to kill, here's a vid of my engine swap; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UORKa ... hygyZBLo-w

Yes that was a CCC carb on my 350. That was just on there to get the car over to my friend for the swap. The Qjet shown at the end on the 440 was the carb that was originaly on the 350. The Qjet needs some serious reworking to run correctly on this new engine which you can probably tell at the end when the throttle was blipped. It drives well enough as is but bogs and generally behaves like your typical out of tune Qjet. Carb mods will be done next week when I take a trip to Cliff Ruggles place.

Do to the carb, I haven't really gotten on her all that much ( yet! ) but the few heavy throttle blasts I have made put a nice big grin on my face!

P.S. My car is an 85 not an 86 and the car ran 13.8's at track with that 350.

Patriotgamez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Nice build! What was your bore stroke combo to get to 440 Cubic inches? Would have been extremely ironical if it would of turned out as 442 cubes...so many people think that the 442 represents the motor size :shock:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Bore is 4.185" and the stroke is 4" I believe. Yeah, 442 cubes would be cool. If you tell someone you have a '440' they think you mean a Mopar. I just say I have a 'bored and stroked Olds 350' if people ask. If they ask for details I'll give em.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Everything looks extremely clean.

You make the swap look easy, but I can tell a lot of work went into that. Nice job!

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The swap itself was very easy as far as engine swaps go. When you have a lift and a tow motor to effortlessly lift your engine in/out, it makes things go alot smoother.

The engine itself was built by a guy I know who races a 440 in his car and really knows his stuff. He builds these engines all the time and has a small stack of 350 diesel blocks waiting to someday becoming 440's. My friend ( in the video ) has a couple in his 2 cars and another friend who will eventually have one too. Sure for our power level we could've built a 455 for cheaper, but I think big block cubes in a small block package ( not to mention the coolness of having an 'indestructable' block even though you don't really need) one ) is appealing since eveything looks stock under the hood and I didn't have to do anything more than drop it in with zero issues. I could've been lame and dropped in a cheap sbc instead but it so happens I'm not lame... :wink:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice replacement. The 350 sounded pretty healthy as it was, but the 440 has a whole different exhaust note.
Nice work. Was the work done at Brian's shop?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Thanks for the compliments.

Actually Brian doesn't have a shop. That was just the guy talking in the vid's neighbor's 'barn'. Him and his neighbor co-own the lift and are very good friends.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
What radiator are you using doublev?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
DoubleV said:
Thanks for the compliments.

Actually Brian doesn't have a shop. That was just the guy talking in the vid's neighbor's 'barn'. Him and his neighbor co-own the lift and are very good friends.

I actually thought it was Brian documenting (and narrating) the swap. At any rate, you were lucky to have access to a well equipped facility. It looks like the swap went well and without a hitch. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor