My toque converter doesnt lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Hi,
Ive been away from my project for a while and I am forgetting things. The car has a 403 with a 2004r and the stock 7.5 inch 2.49 rear. I kept the CCC Carb set up. However I am running headers and never installed my O2 sensor which I intend to do. The short story is I got hurt went out on disability from work, during that time I dropped my daily driver off to get repainted. It should have been a week but for what ever reason they've had the car 6 weeks I don't want to rush them because then the car will probably come out terrible. But I go back to work on next wed so I need to put my project car on the road to go back to work. The Cutlass has the check engine light on because the O2 sensor isn't in, so Im guessing its in limp home mode. Would that keep my torque converter from locking? I like the idea of it staying in tune and getting some mpg so Id like to keep the CCC system. Worst case Scenario I did buy a RPM activated switch from MSD I was thinking of setting it to 1800 RPM and hooking it to the lock up solenoid and wiring a relay inline so when I hit the brakes it unlocks, then use a regular carb and distributor.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I believe the missing O2 sensor is keeping the system in open loop, so no lockup. The other items needed are, engine operating temps, brake off, manifold vacuum, high gear switch (internal), all must be in place for lockup. Since it's kind of hard to get an O2 sensor in the optimum location on headers, the CCC carb is not really set up for the 403, and the rear gears are too tall for overdrive, I would go with a non-CCC carb and distributor and use a remote lock-up switch. You can reuse the stock brake switch to disengage. Those 2:49 gears are going to strain the motor in overdrive, unless you are going to cruise at 100 mph.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I don't think the gears should be too much of an issue at this point, the trans and rear are original to the car and worked with a 307. I know my 403 is putting out more power than a 307, it wont be amazing off the line but shouldn't be too much of an issue. As far as the headers Ive seen a lot of 80s Camaros with headers and they usually put the O2 in the last tube on the passenger side, how come I couldn't get a bung welded in there or even the collector and put the O2 in there? I will check but I think I have everything connected otherwise. Thanks for letting me know what to check I wasnt sure if there was more to it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Do the heated 02 conversion, no doubt the car will run better. Is it a stock 403? I would consider at least 3.42 gears. I run a 25.6" tire, which is short and run at 1850 rpm at 60 mph with the converter locked with 3.42 gears. Far from screaming on the highway.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Are you sure the 200-4R came with 2:49's? My 3.8 wagon came with 2:78's but with a T-350-C, no overdrive. Anyway as Olds307and403 stated, the modern type heated O2 can be farther downstream from the head but requires more complicated wiring. Your OBD-1 system relied on the O-2 being right in the manifold so it got hot fast and stayed hot with no variations. Placing it in a header may not give the required feedback. I was just saying it would be easier all around to scrap the CCC and go old school with a regular Q-jet and HEI that you can tune yourself for best performance and economy. Also my 301, manual trans, 2:78 rear car loafs at 2000 rpm at 60 mph. This calculator says you will be doing over 100 mph at 2000 rpm.http://www.wallaceracing.com/calcmph.php

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had 2.56 factory gears in my 88 CSC. It ran around 1600 rpm at 60 mph with the torque converter locked. I picked up .6 in the 1/8 mile with more power everywhere going with 3.42 gears.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I went out and checked and I made a huge mistake guys I am sorry its 2.56 Still not great but better than 2.5 I have a Monte SS 373 posi rear the previous owner gave me that I want to put in but water got in it and its seized. I also have never rebuilt a rear before so Im waiting to get the money to have it done.

What is involved in installing the heated O2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor