help finding hold down bolt on distrubitor 307HO

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonseeker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2009
Looked and looked and can't seem t find it. What is the optimum setting for timing? Thanks in advance

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Hold down bolt is on the drivers side of the distributor where the distributor meets the block. Takes a 9/16" socket I believe.

Optimum setting should be listed on the radiator plastic shroud. I know for the standard roller 307's is was 20* initial @ 1100RPM.

sonseeker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2009
Thanks for the help,i found it. I believe there is something you have to unhook to set the timing?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
sonseeker said:
Thanks for the help,i found it. I believe there is something you have to unhook to set the timing?

I'm assuming you have an all stock 307 that still has all of the CCC electronic controls?

If so then before setting the timing you are supposed to jumper the A and B terminals on the ALDL under the dash using a paper clip. This disables any timing advance by the computer. Then you can adjust the timing like any other vehicle.

sonseeker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2009
Thanks again for your vast knowledge.Yes it is still stock with the PIA Quadrajunk carb(I have 2 of them both rebuilt, that will be for sale) that was rebuilt by an "EXPERT?" if this doesn't fix the problem Eldebrock carb here I come. I have held off on doing this for years but nearing my wits end. Thanks again

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A Qjet is not junk. Maybe you just don't have your Qjet tuned right. They can be tricky. If you ditch it for an Edelbrock ( which btw IS an inferior carb ) you will no longer be able to run on the computer anymore. This means you need a new distributor.

Who was this 'expert' that rebuilt your carb?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Most likely the problem is not the carb if you had issues with two rebuilt units.
I had issues with my '83 H/O when I bought it, it ran rough, wouldn't idle and would die at random not to mention it would diesel upon shutoff.
I replaced the EGR and solenoid and it fixed the stalling issue some but not completely.
Then I noticed the factory block off plate was missing from the Air Bleed Valve and some idiot decided to "turn some screws" instead of fixing the problem with the EGR first which is a major no no with factory CCC Q-jets.
Turned out the Air Bleed Valve wasn't adjusted correctly, all I did was adjust it back to factory and all my problems went away, it was crazy the significance of this adjustment played in a number of issues.
It runs perfect now.

EGR can be a major factor, especially the solenoid.
Don't forget about the MAP sensor as well and don't use any aftermarket O2 sensors, they are junk.
Find an AC Delco one.
Always address the typical tune-up ware related parts first before turning screws on a carb or thinking the carb is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor