kooks big block headers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
To the guys running a big block olds with kooks headers. I have a question? will the linkage from my transmission to steering column still fit without modifying the drivers side header at the collector area? I still want to use the floor shifter in the console. I've searched the web on this subject and haven't found a straight answer? I'm going to be running a mild rebuilt E block 400 and a 200 4r trans. thanks guys!

bighp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2010
butler pa
I was not able to use anything but the aftermarket cable and brackets on my with floor shifter, im running a 455 with the kooks 3 1/2 " collectors hope that helps

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Well that sucks... I was hoping to keep it some what factory looking I'm not a fan of aftermarket shifters.. Thanks for the info

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
You may want to give American Racing headers a call. They make headers for the BBO/G-Body Cutlass now and they may work for you. You could sell your Kooks to someone who doesn't care about the factory shifter linkage.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The header design is the same between ARH and Kooks.

Repeat info from a previous post using the search function:

88hurstolds said:
I'm assuming they're the same headers that Kooks had.
$695 is the going rate for all headers, you need to run a $220 powermaster 6510 mini starter to use these...

Some info from an internet search:
Nick Fillipedes worked at Kooks and designed the headers for Oldsmobiles there, and are now sold by Dick Miller. He left there and is now running American Racing Headers also on Long Island, making Olds headers but being sold by MJ Proformance. Looks like AR is now selling them too...

Kooks stopped making Oldsmobile Headers because they demanded that 100 pairs of headers per year be sold off each Olds jig or they would scrap the project. That's 400 pairs a year since there were 4 jigs. The day that Nick Phillipedes left Kooks they made up their mind to not fill these quotas by refusing to sell to a WD they thought was a friend of Nicks (who sold a lot of headers off of each jig) and telling another WD they could no longer be a WD. They actually refused to fill a large order for Olds headers. That left one WD selling Olds headers and he could not sell that many headers by himself.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
88hurstolds said:
The header design is the same between ARH and Kooks.

Repeat info from a previous post using the search function:

88hurstolds said:
I'm assuming they're the same headers that Kooks had.
$695 is the going rate for all headers, you need to run a $220 powermaster 6510 mini starter to use these...

Some info from an internet search:
Nick Fillipedes worked at Kooks and designed the headers for Oldsmobiles there, and are now sold by Dick Miller. He left there and is now running American Racing Headers also on Long Island, making Olds headers but being sold by MJ Proformance. Looks like AR is now selling them too...

Kooks stopped making Oldsmobile Headers because they demanded that 100 pairs of headers per year be sold off each Olds jig or they would scrap the project. That's 400 pairs a year since there were 4 jigs. The day that Nick Phillipedes left Kooks they made up their mind to not fill these quotas by refusing to sell to a WD they thought was a friend of Nicks (who sold a lot of headers off of each jig) and telling another WD they could no longer be a WD. They actually refused to fill a large order for Olds headers. That left one WD selling Olds headers and he could not sell that many headers by himself.

I already knew the history on these headers that's why I bought them. But I wanted to know what Im going up against while trying to keep the factory shifter and linkage. I did use the search feature on here and ROP and could not find a straight answer until bighp answered my question. I guess I'll have to fab something to try to keep that factory shifter looks like more work..... :evil:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I know Nick designed the Kooks headers for Olds but it has been repeatedly stated that the ARH are not clones ( at least not every header ). Also, the ARH's headers for BBO/G-Body have only been on the market now for a short time so it seems likely that those headers are a recent/new design otherwise Nick would've just copied the Kooks and had these available years ago. No use speculating when Nick is just phone call away!

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Good point doublev. Ive already dropped the coin on the kooks tho. So Ill just work my way around those even if I have to fab up a new linkage to be able to use my factory shifter. I was just wanting to know from the guys who used these if the linkage cleared the collector I knew it would be a tight fit none the less. Its always something haha

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Maybe your headers will still clear if you have 3" collectors.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
2" primaries with 3 1/2" colloectors is what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor