Difference between 84/85 and 86-88 backup lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, curiosity killed the cat. Over in the Lightning Rods thread, 88hurstolds and I were debating on the differences between the 84/85 and 86-88 backup lenses.

I went out to the remote garage where the Oldsmobiles sit. While there is a channel on the 84/85, it's slightly different than on the 86-88. The main difference is inside the channel on the 84/85, it's got a scalloped/ribbed pattern to it, even in the channeled areas. The 86-88 texture is different where the red is. Plus, the channel stops at the inside blank section on the 84/85 (the license plate lamp covered area), where on the 86-88 the inside blank section is raised and the channel continues around the inside section.

To be honest, I never looked at them this close before. But from 10 feet away, about the only way to tell is the red stripe. They're very similar, but you have to look closer to really know the difference. It's one of those "once you see it..." moments that you won't likely forget.

Pictures can tell you more than my words, so here they are...

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    702.1 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    594.1 KB · Views: 698

83hurstguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Kansas City
It also appears in the left side "box" that there are 7 vertical partitions on the 84-85, while the 86-88 has 6. Maybe the 86-88 has a "frame" around it with internal partitions and the 84-85 just has vertical partitions with no "frame". Hard to tell with one being all blacked out.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Ah, just saw this after posting in the other thread, I thought I was going crazy for a minute :lol:

There are other variances over the years on parts from these cars.
Lower column vent trim plate, seems that '85 and earlier they had a more pronounced contour than the 86-88, perhaps the mold crashed mid '85 because two of my '85 442's have one of each...

Upper rear fender trim, there are 3 different styles:
http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthre ... ifferences

My friends '85 442 hard top has A-pillar drip molding that has a scallop contour to it, very odd... my '84/83 Hursts and my 3 85's and 87 442's do not have this.

Rear bumper covers molded in black urethane, not yellow.

I believe the chrome bumperettes on the bumpers had different contours over the years too.

That is all I can think of for now...

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
88hurstolds said:
Ah, just saw this after posting in the other thread, I thought I was going crazy for a minute :lol:

There are other variances over the years on parts from these cars. Perhaps the mold crashed mid '85 because two of my '85 442's have one of each...

Very likely the tool crashed or a capacity tool was built. The G body cutlass was a high volume program with multiple cavitation required. DPM was the supplier back in the day and they were notorious for tool damage. Just look at the B side scratches and hack marks on most of the interior trim.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yup. I did end up finding the tool company that molded the dash trim pieces back in the 1990s, but after talking to about half a dozen engineers in the company, found they had "recycled" the molds...dammit. Fast turnarounds and recycling crap was a major cost savings with these types of operations. Sorry if I went off tangent, but you noting that interior trim pieces were often crap straight off the dealership showroom made me think of this.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
69hurstolds said:
Yup. I did end up finding the tool company that molded the dash trim pieces back in the 1990s, but after talking to about half a dozen engineers in the company, found they had "recycled" the molds...dammit. Fast turnarounds and recycling crap was a major cost savings with these types of operations. Sorry if I went off tangent, but you noting that interior trim pieces were often crap straight off the dealership showroom made me think of this.

About 8 years ago I found similar results after checking with some old GM guys that back in the day had worked in engineering on the Buick GN and G body Cutlass. Most if not all the production tooling has been scrapped. A shame really. I have the technical expertise and access to the equipment needed to run them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor