Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2014
got this for my 85 salon cant find any info on 160mph cluster
10589026_314387238729616_1672759799_n.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since the numbers and lettering don't match the other stock gauges I would say it is possibly an overlay on a stock (hopefully recalibrated) speedo, especially if it appears to be stock from the backside.

tattooer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2014
Right on, hope its calibrated too, looks stock from back, its a very very clean unit i hope it works, going to install it along with new dash this weekend

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
565bbchevy said:
Since the numbers and lettering don't match the other stock gauges I would say it is possibly an overlay on a stock (hopefully recalibrated) speedo, especially if it appears to be stock from the backside.

those had to be done to comply with local legislations/regulations for cars. For example here in BeNeLux and Germany a speedo has to show the theoretical max-speed. Many US-Cars from the 70s and 80's had to get new speedometers. my 78 Lemans had stock a max of 140Km/H (the actual max-speed possible when going downhill at full throttle on the V6), but they had to fit another speedometer as the car (in theory) was able to run 190KmH. Even if that was only possible by calculation (engine-rpm, gear-ratio, axle-ratio, tire size). The question now is: were there similar regulations to where you live? or is the car an import from a country with such regulations? if yes, then there's the answer to the different looking speedometer of your jewel ^^

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Hey Ferrett, You may be driving slower in front of me, but look out, I am staring at the forest growing on the wildlife bridge over the Luxembourg motorway...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That is a cool cluster, even if it has been revised. I don't think the head unit was likely to have been modified. The easier way is a ratio correction drive on the mechanical speedo sender on the side of the trans. The fun part these days is finding a place that still does speedo corrections. I suspect these can still be purchased, you just need to make some calculations and perhaps use a stopwatch on the highway between mile markers to figure out your correction.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
That is a custom odometer with an overlay and recalibrated and the needles were painted.
There was a speedometer shop selling those on eBay about 10 years ago...
Nothing special, anyone can have one made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor