anti freeze leak HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollin414

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2014
1985 cutlass supreme brougham it has 33k miles on it, the leak i suspect is behind the heater core or around it. it drips down from the passenger side wheel, right behind it. not a crazy leak more like droplets. i want to get this fixed but dont know where to start looking or where exactly the leak is coming from, any ideas? also a ball park estimate if i take it to a mechanic shop

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
A bad heater core would or could also leak inside the passenger side and you could smell it. Have you checked the heater core hoses? Mine had a small drip at the hose on the heater core hose. If it is try snugging the clamp and check the hose while you're at the heater core.

Is your windshield foggy or have a wet film on the inside? This could also be a leaky core inside the car.

I would think a shop would charge a couple of hours of labor plus parts cost.

ollin414

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2014
yes after i turn off the car there is slight fogginess by the passenger side altho i do not smell or have noticed the passenger side floor to be wet. what kind of costs are we talking about to get it fixed?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Some shops will tell you they'll have to disassemble the dash which you don't. Since all the work is in the firewall. My guess is a shop will charge a couple of hours labor which range from 65 to 100 an hour plus parts depending where you go. A heater core can range from $20 to $50. But all this depends on the shop.

I hope this helps.

ollin414

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2014
thanks i appreciate the help will update when i get it fixed

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
The G body cars and the 1994-ish Ford trucks have the easiest to replace heater cores ever. I did one in my dad's Bronco the other day in about 20 minutes. Realistically, it should be an hour job to do and the heater core costs about $30 or so. I'm not sure what the "book" says it will take in labor hours. I think $150 out the door sounds reasonable.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have ac it's a longer job to replace the heater core but still not a difficult job but it sounds like you may have a pin hole in one of the heater core lines and it's rolling down the hose into your heater core housing. If the heater core was leaking I have never heard of it dropping any antifreeze behind the tire

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If you still have the heater control valve in the heater line, apply full vacuum to that port ( From the ball) and drive around for a while. Full vacuum on that valve will "block" the flow of water to the heater core. Might help you determine if it is the core, although it sounds like it is.

Here's a thread or two on replacing one, if it helps.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/aircond ... rcore.html
http://www.chevyasylum.com/core/

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor