TCC Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Ok my 1984 cutlass was originally equipped with buick 231 v6, 200c metric trans (w/ lock-up) and 7.5" w/ 2.14 gears. Can anyone explain the pathway of tcc? What is the route for power and route for ground?

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Power comes from the Gauge Fuse, through the brake pedal switch, via pink/blk wire. The purple wire from the brake switch goes to the TCC. The ECM provides the ground, with inputs from the VSS . You can manually ground for testing purposes by grounding pin "F of the ALDL.

HTH

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you very much for response. Now another question. I swapped in 350 sbc and 700r4. I originally left the computer in place and realistically had barely anything connected to it. The 700r4 I built and if I recall correctly I removed all of the pressure switches and just installed a normally closed 4th gear switch to control lockup. Everything functioned prpoerly and converter locked up in 4th only and if I stepped on the brake it would disengage. Now I removed the computer and want lockup to function the same plus I want a toggle switch to control lockup only so I can unlock converter when Im at say 55mph and lockup converter is lugging or when I make a track pass. How would I accomplish this?

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't done this so this is theory only. Without the computer, your TCC will not have any speed inputs. To activate the TCC, you will need to apply a ground signal to the Tan/Blk wire coming out of the trans. You can pick up the ground anywhere, and place your toggle switch in the ground line to turn it off/on. The power will still come from the Brake Switch, via the Pink/Blk line in/ Purple line to trans. I'm thinking that your 4th gear switch will automatically trigger the TCC if the ground is present, but not real sure how the switch works. The brake will disengage as normal.

An easy way to get the ground to work would be a wire, from ground, through the toggle switch, to the "F" terminal of the ALDL. This will make everything work in the cab, and can be used as an easy test. If everything works out, you can make the ground line more permanent. ALDL pin "A" is ground, so you could even use that.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Well I finally traced wiring down today. The schematic looked just like you said, from fuse panel to brake switch and to tcc switch except that it does run all the behind dash to ecm and then to tcc switch. Schematic was tricky to read since ot shows connector #c437b...which an ecm connector. I also forgot the way my tcc switch is wired its N.O. 4th gear pressure switch, so just needs the 12v going in and grounds inside trans to engage tccc switch. So everything is at least back to normal and converter locks in 4th. I gave up on switch because I'm a little leary about breaking into power feed to for toggle switch. I seem to remember something about if 4th gear pressure switch doesn't have 12v it can burn up switch. At least it is functioning properly without ecm now. Thanks again for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor