running rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
Hey guys,
I've been trying to think of what the issue could be with my Cutlass. I installed a new cap and rotor and a week later the car started running bad. The car runs ok from idle-1900rpm but runs terrible from 2000rpm on up. It has occasionally backfired.
List of new parts,
  • Spark Plugs
  • Spark Plug Wires
  • Fuel Filter
  • Fuel Pump
  • BWD ICM
  • BWD Ignition Coil
  • MSD HEI Cap and Rotor

I've made sure that my firing order is still correct and it is. I'm wondering what else could be the issue.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
And never rule out the new aftermarket parts you bought being any good. Most are just Chinese made garbage that are defective and/or out of spec right out of the box.

Just sayin.... :wink:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Exactly, could be junk. What brands of are the rest of the parts?

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
@DoubleV
Backfiring out carb. I haven't check'd timing because it was fine last I knew. I have check'd the cap and rotor many times for defects but can't find any. Cutlass doesn't have a catalytic converter. As for when it started acting up, it ran fine one day and not ok the next morning.

@olds307
Spark plugs are ACDelco, Wires are MSD, Fuel filter is Mr. Gasket (made of glass with the replaceable filter), and I don't remember the brand of fuel pump but I can see it pumping fuel.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd be looking at the wires and make sure they are separated so you don't have induced firing and take a look so see if any wire was burnt on the exhaust

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
@pontiacgp
I am using wire spacers so they aren't cross arcing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how old are the plugs?, I have had a cracked plug that didn't cause any problem for a week before it caused the car to run rough and backfire through the carb. If the ceramic on the plug is cracked the spark can end up being grounded and that messes up the distributor.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Sounds like a fuel issue to me, the more the demand there is for fuel the worse it gets. A spark problem will be more noticeable at idle. The backfire yer getting is a lean condition. I would check yer fuel pressure. Should be seven PSI.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
@pontiacgp
Plugs are 4 moths old. I'll look for a cracked one just to be sure.

@Pontiac455
I just don't get the feeling I have a fuel problem anymore.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Maybe your distributor came loose? I have had a MSD Superconductor wire crack twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor