'83 Hurst striping pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Does anyone on here have an '83 Hurst that has original striping? I am trying to figure out how it's supposed to be originally...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How do you mean, how it was done originally? They put the stripes on after painting.... :wink:

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
69hurstolds said:
How do you mean, how it was done originally? They put the stripes on after painting.... :wink:
Mike you a verah fun-nee guy-ee! :D
What I mean is, there are differences in the Phoenix/Stencils stripes from the originals and I am trying to find out if what I have on mine are original or not. If mine turn out to be original, I will take measurements for reproducing the stripes in paint. If not, I would like to get pics of an original car that hasn't been restriped. Might also have a stencil company do the lettering as a stencil for paint too. Preparing for my '83 Hurst resto...

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Joe, if you see red bleeding through on the stripes then they are originals, most likely they are given the "patina" on your car :lol:

I still owe you all those photos, I have a ton of them from low mile cars...
I will try tomorrow night, gotta go to the shop tonight and get dirty, working on the '84 H/O.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm not 100% sold on this, because I've never seen any official documentation for it, but at one of the H/OCA meets, I saw someone's supposed original striped 83 have what appeared to be perforations in the upper front header stripe. Instead of overlapping one stripe over the other in the middle, the stripes were kind of like one solid stripe that the perforations lined up the stripe sort of on the front. Wish I had a picture. Not sure if that was truly OEM or not, but they did seem legit and the car did seem very original. For the love of God I can't recall who's car it was though. All the GM replacement stripe kits came with a two-piece upper header stripe IIRC.

Another way to tell is that the OEM stripes are a tad thicker than the aftermarket ones, save for the ones that A Little Different made some years back. THOSE were very good stripes IMO and seemed like OEM thickness. Had a set of those on the 84 the first go-round, but when it got repainted, I had to use S&S thin crap. S&S has the silkscreen, but it's on red base stripes. IIRC, OEM stripes weren't on red backing. I think it was gray backing with all the colors silkscreened. S&S uses a red stripe then silkscreens the black/silver on there. And it's so thin you can see red trying to bleed through in some spots around the edges on those thin-assed S&S stripes. Better than nothing, but not super great IMO.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Cool, thanks Mike and Mike.

88hurstolds said:
Joe, if you see red bleeding through on the stripes then they are originals, most likely they are given the "patina" on your car :lol:

I still owe you all those photos, I have a ton of them from low mile cars...
I will try tomorrow night, gotta go to the shop tonight and get dirty, working on the '84 H/O.

Yes, any pics of all the angles would be great.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
69hurstolds said:
Another way to tell is that the OEM stripes are a tad thicker than the aftermarket ones, save for the ones that A Little Different made some years back. THOSE were very good stripes IMO and seemed like OEM thickness. Had a set of those on the 84 the first go-round, but when it got repainted, I had to use S&S thin crap. S&S has the silkscreen, but it's on red base stripes. IIRC, OEM stripes weren't on red backing. I think it was gray backing with all the colors silkscreened. S&S uses a red stripe then silkscreens the black/silver on there. And it's so thin you can see red trying to bleed through in some spots around the edges on those thin-assed S&S stripes. Better than nothing, but not super great IMO.

I have NOS stripes from GM and they are red backed, I just did the stripes on my '83 with S&S stripes and they are silver backed.
The red on the S&S is darker, the originals were brighter and somewhat neon.
The upper silver strip on the S&S is thicker as well.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
88hurstolds said:
I have NOS stripes from GM and they are red backed, I just did the stripes on my '83 with S&S stripes and they are silver backed.
This tells me the stripes on mine are original. Mine are red backed with the silver on top. I got your PM, but there was a message that "This Album is Private"...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
88hurstolds said:
The red on the S&S is darker, the originals were brighter and somewhat neon.
The upper silver strip on the S&S is thicker as well.
Hmmm. 84 may have been a different animal. The OEM stripes may have been with a different manufacturer than the ones used later. I forgot the name of the stripe manufacturer for the over the counter stripes. I had a front fender stripe in the box and it had the mfr stamp on the backing paper. I don't know what happened to it. Of course, that could have changed over the years as well.

My S&S stripes for 84 was a red back. Most likely because if it used black (where the silver would be on the 83) then the stripe probably wouldn't have silkscreened all that well. I'm assuming the same process style was used by S&S regardless of the year being duplicated.

I also have some gold 442 bumper stripes somehwere that I could SWEAR have a red base to them. I found it rather odd as I simply thought they'd just cut some gold stripes for it. I'll dig around one of these days and see if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor