1983 HO Sand Gray Headliner - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldz442

n00b
Aug 6, 2014
I'm going crazy trying to match the stock Headliner color for an 83 HO with sand gray interior.

Does anyone have a picture they can post of their interior that has the original headliner?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
This topic has been beaten like a dead horse lately.

Sadly you are not going to find an exact match.
I've done extensive research and NONE of the aftermarkets come even close to the original color.

You closest match is a medium neutral.
GM started using the term "Cogniac" for the 60 trim code after '84, if you can find that color anywhere have at it but medium neutral is your closest match but it lacks the yellowish/tan hue.

I have NOS material but it's not cheap...

oldz442

n00b
Aug 6, 2014
The Medium Neutral you're referring to I don't see on the Stockinteriors.com website. Is there another company I haven't found that sells this color? Thanks

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
88hurstolds said:

I've done extensive research and NONE of the aftermarkets come even close to the original color.

GM started using the term "Cogniac" for the 60 trim code after '84, if you can find that color anywhere have at it but medium neutral is your closest match but it lacks the yellowish/tan hue.

Seen all of them? We have had them matched up. Sold for Buicks & Oldsmobiles with 0 complaints. I'll send you a sample if you want. No it isn't doe skin by PUI.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Bweavy said:
88hurstolds said:

Seen all of them? We have had them matched up. Sold for Buicks & Oldsmobiles with 0 complaints. I'll send you a sample if you want. No it isn't doe skin by PUI.

I have all those color codes from multiple vendors you have on hand and pictured on your website, none of them are even close to the factory original light sand gray GM material.
So which one are you sending to your customers advertised as the correct Sand Gray material?
1953 Mocha is too brown and 1784 and 2126 Sand Gray is actually gray and VERY incorrect and 1828 Sand Beige is also far off.
I suspect the reason why you don't have complaints is the fact that you just say you don't even though you do, they don't have the headliner there to begin with to compare or they are smart enough to realize that they know that it's not OEM GM and the color chart is listed on your website.

Attachments

• headliner-material3.jpg
    headliner-material3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 537
  • headliner-material2.jpg
    headliner-material2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 605

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In my experience, NOBODY has ever made exact match colors for headliners/interiors save for the OEM stuff. Never in all my years have I seen the exact match from aftermarket vendors. Someone can CLAIM they have, but I spent over 6 months researching all the blues and burgundys out there and came up with "very close" and "almost". I finally gave up and went with the very close. I guess you could dye it to the right shade if you're careful, but fugg that. I also know in my experiences nobody ever looks at a headliner very close as long as it's not hanging/loose.

But...I wouldn't give you 3 cents per yard for OEM/NOS headliner material now, since the foam is already old as dirt...won't be long till that's hanging like a liposuction patient's belly skin right after surgery.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
88hurstolds said:
Bweavy said:
88hurstolds said:

I have all those color codes from multiple vendors you have on hand and pictured on your website, none of them are even close to the factory original light sand gray GM material.
So which one are you sending to your customers advertised as the correct Sand Gray material?
1953 Mocha is too brown and 1784 and 2126 Sand Gray is actually gray and VERY incorrect and 1828 Sand Beige is also far off.
I suspect the reason why you don't have complaints is the fact that you just say you don't even though you do, they don't have the headliner there to begin with to compare or they are smart enough to realize that they know that it's not OEM GM and the color chart is listed on your website.

Mike did you see how close the seats covers were we built for the H/O? That picture on my site is a guide. Your an educated guy & say Mocha is too brown yeah no kidding? Who would send some one that or suggest it. I tell every one pull your visors apart that haven't seen sun or remove the swivels from your head liner & see how close it is.
I can please 84 GN Buick owners & they are tough. One thing that really bothers me is when you have companies Saying doe skin is correct & people believe it. I just stopped even posting correct colors on TB.com. Let them by the wrong colors I'm past it.
You really have been a Debbie downer lately. I miss the happy Mike ;)

69hurstolds No one would be able to match it 100%. the chemicals use back in the day are not available. So they match as close as they can with newer units.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Bweavy said:
You really have been a Debbie downer lately. I miss the happy Mike ;)
Happy Mike?
What the fvck does that mean?
I am here stating facts and having a discussion about headliner material.
Why don't you respond back to the correct color being used for sand gray that you are selling instead of attacking me like you did over that stupid shifter bracket?

Yes, I've seen your seat covers in person, they are not even close to the originals... they are too bright and have a sheen to them, looked like a cheap Vietnamese velvet painting.
Look how shinny they are:

And yes I did see your photos on your website and I agree with you they do match perfectly against the seats they are next to however... they are FADED OLD SEAT COVERS FROM A HIGH MILE CAR.
Look at the piping and the side vinyl, they are all roached out from the sun and have turned black.
Look at the drivers seat, it's torn to shreds.

Low mile Maple is much darker.
I am well aware of what material is available in the marketplace and well aware of materials available today yada yada yada...
What I don't get is why not have the correct stuff made instead of selling "close enough" stuff.
If paint can be mixed then fabric can be dyed...

69hurstolds said:
But...I wouldn't give you 3 cents per yard for OEM/NOS headliner material now, since the foam is already old as dirt...won't be long till that's hanging like a liposuction patient's belly skin right after surgery.
The foam on the stuff I have has not degraded at all, I've done a peel test on it.

Attachments

• HOSeatcovers8384%20008.jpg
    HOSeatcovers8384%20008.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 681
  • HOSeatcovers8384%20012.jpg
    HOSeatcovers8384%20012.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 427
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor