transmission cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
I have a B&M transmission cooler in front of my rad , the temp runs 190 to 205, can any one suggest a better one that will keep the temp down to where it suppost to be ( witch i dont have any idea what the norm temp should be), all I know I DONT LIKE IT that hot, thanks for your help, Im thinking about putting a deeper pan on it as well :?:

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
If you are in traffic on a hot day 190 to 205 is not bad for a trans temp, think about it, with the cooler in the rad. it would be around the same temp. You need the trans to get up around 200 to get the condensation out of the fluid, otherwise it will turn to milky looking stuff that is not good for the trans. Sort of like the engine the trans can be too hot and or too cold, it likes to be just right.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
awdblazer said:
where are you getting these temps from?
i have a trans temp and oil temp gauges, like to day just crusin around town hi humidity and the temp was 91, not the best day to go for a ride i just could not help myself had to get it out :D it was about 210 when i put it back in the garage

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
I have the b&m transmission cooler also and my temps never reach what you report. What size lines are you using and where are you reading the temp from? Location do the temp. Sender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I have a Trans temp gauge also w/ a sender in the pan. My temps seem to run warmer then normal also, but when I use my external laser sensor on the lines it is a lower temp by about 30 or more degrees. I have a large front air dam mounted cooler w/ a fan that has a fan switch set @ 185 and the fan is off when the gauge is reading over 200. I belive my gauge is off since I have replaced the sender already and the only suggestion Autometer had was check ground and meter connections. Not saying this is your issue, but just a possibility.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
I had high temperatures on my transmission too, 195°F to 215°F, but I was able to get rid of these and push them down to 150°F to 185°F. the hottest reading i get is under heavy acceleration uphill on a very hot summer day: 200°F. Here's my setup:

- Temp-Sensor in the outline from the transmission to the radiator.
- steel-line sections for the connections to transmission and radiator
- Delafield hoses to link up the transmission to the cooler
- deep trans-pan with cooling fins
- Heavy duty 3-row radiator for the engine (gives better cooling for the transmission too)
- got rid of the stock fan and put on two large electric SPAL-fans used in BMW M3's, triggered by a temp-sensor in the cylinder head.

Since then, i got no more issues with heat. the only "down" is the sound the fans make. they howl like jet engines, once they reach full rev-speed. but that's only for a short time, as they move huge amounts of air through the radiator. when the engine hits 210°F and is not moving in traffic they cool it down to 185°F in 9 seconds.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Here is my pan sender.

Still trying to figure my gauge issue out, because with the other info I have I believe the gauge is wrong.

Attachments

• DSC00345.JPG
    DSC00345.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 430
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor