Rebuild or replace trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
I figured I'd post and get some feedback. The two things that I can really beefen up on my 88 Cutlass are my trans and rear end. As some already know, I live in Ca, and we have reg's prohibiting installing a bigger engine in cars made after 1975. Totally sucks, but it is what it is. Yes, there may be ways around the reg's, but I'm okay for now, and will keep the 307.

So my TH200-4r is leaking and I figure replacing or rebuilding is in place. It has about 190k miles, so it's about time. A local well known trans shop wants about $2200 to remove, rebuild the trans and torque converter, and reinstall. He will be replacing various weak parts (along with a slew of other seals/gaskets/parts), and appears to know his way around the 200-4r's, so his price is prob approp. Question is, a few companies sell beefened-up TH200-4r's for about $1600 bucks. Extreme Automatics (EA) is a company I've been reading up. Seems like a few people on this site run their trans, and have a lot of positive things to say about EA and their products.

Specifically, I'm interested in the stage 1. Anyone suggest a different trans?

At this point (or unless someone can convince me otherwise) I'm more interested in just replacing my old trans with one from EA, as I don't really want to have my current one rebuilt, and possibly risk it being rebuilt wrong. I figure EA has been around for a while, and prob will do a lot more to their version of the TH200-4r vs my local shop.

Would a stage 1 TH200-4r be too much transmission for my weak 307?

Are there any other parts that should be replaced while having the trans pulled? I've been told that possibly the trans mounts should be replaced, but was curious if anyone else suggests having any other parts replaced during the re-installation process.

Lastly, I will also have the stock torque converter replaced. Anyone have any suggestions on which aftermarket torque converter to purchase for my application?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Stage one will be fine for your 307. I would go with their basic torque converter from EA also, low 2000 stall will give a better launch. A mount is a good idea, along with an auxiliary trans cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor