DX with Pontiac crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablosnookems

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2014
This may sound crazy, but what would stop a person from taking a 3 inch main diesel block and using a 3 inch main 326-350-389-400 Pontiac crank in it with the same shaved down BBC rods used in the Mondello BBO crank equipped diesel and a 1.25 compression height SBC 377 piston after boring to 4.125. It has the same 4.625 bore space, the rear main area looks the same, and the snout looks workable as well. That Pontiac crank is very common and offers a 3.75 inch stroke. To use the BBC rod it could be offset ground to 3.8. With a successful 3.8 offset grind, a 6.135 rod, and removing .015 from the deck, the piston is even with the deck.This seems like it would have a lot of potential. Any thoughts.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Supposedly the Pontiac and Olds Eagle cranks start out with the same blank. They WILL be different enough to not work in finished form. I am sure someone has tried.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
You should post this question on www.realoldspower.com there are many that can give you good input on this.
My first impression is that it won't work but I don't know enough about Pontiacs to divulge.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Sorry to post in late. I just saw this.
IMO it wont work. The angle of the stroke is off enough that the timing is different. Then the cams makes it next to impossible. Pontiac's firing order is like Chevy's. Olds rotates the other direction.
Interesting idea but no.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor