AC Compressor Control Valve, differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
So here is a photo of two compressors. One is off my 87 442, the other is a new one from a GM performance Chevy serpentine setup. Notice the compressor control valve on the newer one does not have an electrical connector. But the one from my Olds did. What is really weird, is that when I go to Rock auto and look up my vehicle, the part that comes up looks like the one that came with the chevy kit. I'm a little confused. What does this little control valve do? I'd assume there are mechanical and electrical ones(Olds being electrical, Chevy mechanical???). Anyone have any idea? Do I need to remove the one from the chevy and install an electrical one??? Thanks for any help guys!

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
The Switch in that location is a high pressure cut-off switch. If you are going to R134a, I highly recommend installing it in the new compressor ( if it doesn't have one). You basically wire it in series with the ground side of the compressor connector. It disables the compressor once you reach the high pressure point ( they come in different pressure ranges, but one somewhere around 300 is good). R134a pressures can go a lot higher than R12, and could potentially cause other components to rupture ( condensor, evaporator). There is also a high pressure relief valve on the back of the compressor, that kicks in at about 450 psi. It works ( don't ask how I know!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor