1985 cutless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contessa85

n00b
Aug 30, 2014
Hello
I have a 1985 oldsmobile cutless and i wanted too know if the rear end i have in the car . if i can put the center section in it out of a 85 iroc camaro.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Cutlass*

And it depends on the spline count. I believe gbodys have 26 spline.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
They are the same rear series wise. But since its a iROC, the gear ratio is way different than a stock 85 cutlass. Most Culass came with anywhere from 2.14 - 2.73 gears. Thats the Olds V8. A V6 and Chevy V8 would get a 3.08. IROCs came with 3.42s and 3.73s. You would have to change carriers with ring gear, pinions and reset the back lash so you wont grenade it a block from your house. A HUGE job. The IROCs gears will improve take off but, will kill milage and increase oil changes if its a Olds 307.

Contessa85

n00b
Aug 30, 2014
Hey thanks Jetset31. i know it will change the milage. but i just wanted too put a better rear gear in it.and yes i know i will have too change the ring and pinion i just wanted too make sure it would fit in it. thank again for the info :)

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
No problem. I learned a lot about the 7.5 over the years. With aftermarket gears that thing can handle almost 500hp or about a low 12 on the track in a Gbody with drag radials. I wouldnt bet on it lasting long with the factory internals. Even with the aftermarket stuff, put slicks on it or up the power and all bets are off!
It has limits but, a good cheap starting rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor