1980 cutlass questions/what to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gesell.04

n00b
Sep 4, 2014
Found an 80 for sale on Craigslist for 1500. Says painted couple years ago but could use minor touch ups. Looks good in the photos. I can see the seats aren't og. Sad it has a 350r. Was that an option for 80? Are there any thing specific to look for?

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
the 350 wasnt an option in '80, they either came with the 260 or the 307.

Gesell.04

n00b
Sep 4, 2014
I do plan on looking at it tomorrow afternoon or on saturday. I had a 78 an sol it and have kicked myself ever since. Was there a hurst/442 in 80? Is there things to look for in the vin that would indicate something special about the 80s?

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Idk, some 80s are weird. Like mine has an 80 front end and a 79 rear end so its tough to find parts thatll match up. If its a solid car jump on it anyways cause theyre only getting harder to find in good shape

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
886 442's were made in 1980 and came with an Olds 350.
It should have an R as the 8th digit in the vin and the trans tag should read LJ
It should also have a bucket seat interior either vinyl black or cloth camel tan.
You can also verify the firewall body tag for the black/gold or white/gold paint codes and interior options (buckets).

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The 350 Olds was used in more than just the 442. I had 1980 R vin Cutlass Supreme with the Olds 350. Dark blue interior, 60/40 split bench, white exterior with dark blue pin stripe and white landau top, and White rally wheels. The car for sure wasn't a 442.

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
350s are not rare at all, and b.o.p. 350s are still around if you look

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
It's too good to be true. 'Things to look for' includes stolen - so consider saying "Ill think about it" taking down the vin#'s and doing a vehicle history report. Nothing more irritating than getting a car and finding out you'll never be able to put plates on it. Also the car probably isn't stolen anyway but it could have a lien, or the 350 could really be a 307 or 305 and the seller is just playing dumb. Another thing to look for would be like the door seals. You said it was just repainted so if the door seals look really old that's a sign of a really bad paintjob. Not replacing the door seals can cause the car to rust at the edges of the door seals 2-5 years down the road and suddenly the paint job looks terrible b/c peeling at the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor