Dead key 85 Cutty Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simons Trucking

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2014
Lincoln Nebraska
I picked up an 85 Cutlass a few weeks back and finally got around to tinkering with it. Well after it sitting for 5 plus years it started right up with a good battery. After it ran for 5 minutes or so it died. When it died the charge light flashed on, turned the key and had nothing then it just roared back to life. Ran a minute or so and died again, flashed the charge light and now nothing. I am just looking for advice where to start looking. Thanks

Simons Trucking

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2014
Lincoln Nebraska
I've swapped out the alternator and no change. The chiltons manual says that it is a bad fuseable link, I checked the link down by the starter and it has continuity. So now I'm not sure where to look at.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
With a new battery, the engine should run without the alternator. Granted you ultimately need to get the charging circuit functioning but are you sure your problem is not something else? The sitting for 5 year thing has me thinking fuel system malady. Changed the fuel filter yet? Look inside the tank?

Simons Trucking

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2014
Lincoln Nebraska
No haven't done anything with it. The key is dead. Turn it does nothing just like the battery isn't hooked up. Gas tank smells good but I know that don't mean much

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Oh, I missed that you weren't getting anything when turning the key. I thought it was still starting and dying. That still wouldn't be the alternator. Start with the easiest thing first. Verify your new battery is still good. They can die way prematurely due to a defect.

Next, check both battery cables for internal corrosion or shoddy connections at both ends. Especially the ground cable. Verify that it is properly attached to the engine. If all this is good, move on to checking the fusible links. You can even bypass the ignition switch as a test by shorting the starter posts with a screwdriver from under the car to see if the starter kicks then.

Lastly, when you get that all straightened out, give your fuel system a once over before the car strands you on the roadside from crap in the system. Today's alcohol-laced gas is none to friendly to our ancient fuel senders, rubber fuel line connectors, fuel pumps and carburetors. When one is left sitting, you hope it was using only pure gas previously or at least had fuel stabilizer added before its slumber. Also, moisture build-up in the tanks over years of non use causes rust. So even if the tank isn't rusted through causing leaks, the flakes will make their way through the pump and into the fuel filter as you drive.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Earlier you mentioned the charge light coming on when it was running, usually a sign of a bad diode.

It could very well be mice have chewed up your harness under the dash and now the ignition wiring is all shorted out.

Time to get a CSM and a volt meter... or start looking under the dash.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If the fusible links are checked to be good, then turn on the headlights. Corroded terminals/loose connections can show up this way. If the lights stay on but still doesn't do anything with the key going to start, it's in the starter circuit. Could be the ignition switch, but unlikely. If the lights go out or dim considerably when you go to start, it may be a short in the start circuit, or a loose/corroded connection somewhere. Or very low battery. Also, although I think it's unlikely, if your neutral safety switch isn't exactly adjusted right while in park, you can get the condition you describe of a do nothing when in start mode.

No matter what, replace the fuel filter. 5 years of sitting doing nothing isn't helping even if it is something else. Cheap insurance anyway. Also, you could have a stuck/intermittently sticking float? How fresh is that gas? Again, years old gas doesn't help things.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Simons Trucking said:
No haven't done anything with it. The key is dead. Turn it does nothing just like the battery isn't hooked up. Gas tank smells good but I know that don't mean much

why are you even attempting to start a car after it sat for 5 years. All the fluids should be changed before the engine is turned over including the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor