Engine knock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 21, 2014
Hey guys quick question. Last week I took my 1984 Cutlass Calias in to have the tps replaced. My mechanic said he cleaned the carb really good while he was replacing the sensor, it was full of junk. My cel was on and now it's off so I think that is what was triggering my cel. Drove it to work the next day and now I am hearing a knock in the engine. I called mechanic and he didn't feel like what he did would cause a knock from engine. Checked my oil and it is full. Any suggestions or comments??? Thanks in advance. Btw 307 v8 vin y.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Can you post a video? The jobs he did will not make your engine knock. Was there any shavings in your oil? What does your oil pressure gauge read? Does it knock all the time or just at certain rpms?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Could have spun bearing or bent a connecting or push rod unfortunatly.
Similar situation happened to me in High School...
Hillbilly mechanic was over reving the engine after tuning it up while I was standing there going "Oldsmobiles are cool" and it started knocking about 5 miles later when I left from a bent connecting rod.
Most likely the guy was putting it through the ringer thinking he was cleaning the carb out.
I've never heard a carb being full of crud and being simply cleaned out either
Carbs are rebuilt...
Chances are he used 5 cans of carb cleaner and tainted your oil with carb cleaner and caused a bearing to go as well...
I would give that shop hell and threaten a small claims suit...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
88hurstolds said:
Could have spun bearing or bent a connecting or push rod unfortunatly.
Similar situation happened to me in High School...
Hillbilly mechanic was over reving the engine after tuning it up while I was standing there going "Oldsmobiles are cool" and it started knocking about 5 miles later when I left from a bent connecting rod.
Most likely the guy was putting it through the ringer thinking he was cleaning the carb out.
I've never heard a carb being full of crud and being simply cleaned out either
Carbs are rebuilt...
Chances are he used 5 cans of carb cleaner and tainted your oil with carb cleaner and caused a bearing to go as well...
I would give that shop hell and threaten a small claims suit...

that's alot of hypothetical and even if he did cause damage an 84 engine has lived passed it's like expectancy so rebuilding the engine would be almost a total betterment and not worth the time or money to take it to small claims court.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
If this happened on like... a newer goodwrench crate motor under warranty or something like that small claims would make sense. A small claims court would look up what 307's are going for see they sell for only a few hundred dollars to maybe like 600 on it's best day and they would drop the case b/c not worth their time... It sucks but you should just start looking at other engines and not expect much from this point forward. I got a rod knock to go away for a while with some lucas oil but when it came back months later the car was dead within only a few weeks after that.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
The ONLY thing Lucas is good for is a band aid to cover up problems for a short time. Even their ads says it can cover up a problem not fix it.

Carl75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks guys. When I called the mechanic he did suggest i change the oil and put 20w50 oil and some Lucas in it. I was hoping this wasn't serious enough to replace engine.... I just spent a chunk having a blown head gasket repaired about 2 months ago :( she was headed to the paint shop this week, may have to put on hold again!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm surprised your mechanic suggested a band aid instead of coming back in so he can check to see the source of the knock. It could be the water pump is going bad but If a bearing is bad it's alot cheaper and easier to rebuild an engine with a bad bearing than to throw your engine way after it blows and you end up with a towing bill on top

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor