Hi. I'm 21. This is my first car. 88 Supreme Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
One owner, my grandma. It's mine now. I want to share it and get some help and opinions from people as passionate about G-Body Oldsmobiles as me. As I've been so happy to finally get the car, I am a noob at working on cars, Unfortunately. However, I am willing to learn and have already gotten a few things done.

20140813_170200_zps3c33887a.jpeg

I replaced the front euro plastic emblem.

20141005_180228_zps832be6c1.jpeg

This is missing on the other side of the VT. I have never been able to find another one.

20141005_174845_zps781906f5.jpeg

20141005_180221_zps80f206c8.jpeg

20140813_170240_zps10b7d935.jpeg

20140814_193606_zpsd52fe2a0.jpeg

20140813_170257_zpse799b6d2.jpeg

So theres what looks good. Most the car. I think. Right?

So moving onto my problem areas....

20140806_220252_zps9a4b5d7f.jpeg

Both are missing the emblems...

20141005_174652_zpse6506da7.jpeg

See.

20141005_180320_zps2db2f675.jpeg

Front left bumper trim paint is coming off. I have no idea why. I haven't hit anything or rubbed a single thing.

20140730_202503_zps10e5331c.jpeg

Steering wheel paint is flaking off ;.; This surprised me. Should I get a new steering wheel or can i repaint that part?

Thanks for reading!!! I hope to get some replies and i will be here alot checking replies this is the most excited I've been about anything in my life.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome to the forum! My 82 Is my first car as well, it's giving me a lot of experience in not a lot of time. This is a great place to start, everyone's helpful, I don't have any complaints

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Hello, I also have an 88 olds. I also just got an 85 I liked it so much.

You can buy 'SEM interior paint' in matching factory GM shades from Gbodyparts.com a supporting vendor

If you switch to an aftermarket steering wheel over that less common 'sport' style steering wheel, you will disappoint the oldsmobile purists right off the bat and they will mildly chastise you. I could be wrong about my next statement; but it looks kind of like your car is an 88 Cutlass Brougham that somebody slapped supreme classic emblems on b/c they couldn't find Brougham emblem at the junkyard. The sport steering wheel may have come stock but was probably added from an earlier model year supreme since most 88s I've seen always have the really ghetto looking not-nearly-as-cool steering wheel. It's already a bit of an upgrade than the more common fugly stock steering wheel I have. Either way:

Welcome to the site!

SupremeClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
Thank you pencero.
I didn't know there were non supreme-classic 88 G-bodies.
The pinstripes and trim were removed during its first repainting a year ago.
As far as I know and my father, grandmother (who has alzheimers) and aunt knows, it is a CSC. I have the bill of sale, from 1988, and it says cutlass supreme. I have the VIN. And the original Manuals, and the original manual and insurance glove box booklet :D
The vinyl top is new too.

Well. After doing some research, I know what my biggest challenge is.
Turning this
20140806_220252_zps9a4b5d7f.jpeg

into this

86-88taillightrocket_zpsa2bef31d.jpg

I want to keep that steering wheel. Yeah, its nicer than the leather granny ones you see alot. I wonder if i will have to take it off. And if i will have to remove all the old paint on the steering wheel.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
wow that's really cool. Didn't know CSC was available with vinyl top, which I only saw on Brougham before. To paint the wheel you definitely want to take it off for uniformity, and to avoid spilling that SEM interior paint inside the car - its $30 so be careful with it - lol! You need a special tool to remove the steering wheel which is not a common tool found on a ratchet set or something like that. As a matter of fact... I cant even remember what its called b/c I'm dumb. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have it lying around. If you know a bigtime GM head hit them up and they're sure to have the tool so you can borrow it of course. A lot of guys on here dislike the Grant woodgrain wheel b/c its kind of played out but its an option too of course. It used to be more than $200 but is pretty easy to find cheap at the tow yards these days; just got 1 for less than $30 this July!

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Hey, I've got the "Cutlass Supreme Classic" emblem you need for the vinyl top and I will sell. First car at 21; wow, well deserved. Nice Cutlass.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
If you're really good, you could just take the horn cap off and mask the rest off and spray with some black crinkle paint in that section that is starting to peel. You would of course need to scuff it with a scuff pad or fine sand paper and clean it with mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol before paint. Mask the rest of the str wheel off, throw a sheet over dash and seats and you're ready to go.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Nice starter car!

A majority of '88 CSC's came with vinyl tops, probably 75% of them, very uncommon to see one as a hard top.

Sport wheels came in any Cutlass, didn't have to be special, yours is factory and there are no "new" ones out there unless you have $400-$600 burning a hole in your pocket (if you can even find one).
It's very common for the paint to flake off on these.
It's best to just paint yours by removing it and removing all the paint and painting it right instead of touching it up, or keep a watchful eye out for a replacement ($75-$150 depending on condition).

The sail panel emblem on Brougham models only said "Cutlass Supreme Classic", there is no Brougham rectangle emblem on the sail panel on '88's.
The only way to tell if it's a Brougham is by the pillow seats and upper door panels, Supremes came with standard buckets/console or a bench and different upper door panels like '87 442's.
As for the title stating CSC, it's common for DMV's to screw things up.
Your VIN should read 1G3GM1 for a Brougham, Supremes start with 1G3GR1.

The paint on your bumper cover is scuffed from someone hitting something, very common on these cars due to being the point that sticks out the furthest.
The paint does not typically fall off due to age UNLESS the painter did not use adhesion promoter during the repaint process for the urethane covers.

As for the tail light emblem, impossible to find in nice shape with no fading issues on the red rocket, they are in high demand unfortunately and get pricey.
Your only option is to find a used one in fair shape or take off the clear top portion of it and paint the rocket again which is possible.
Being 21 I doubt you'll be able to afford an NOS one or even the aftermarket emblems that will be coming out soon (seems that aftermarket parts are more expensive than the NOS ones out there).
I have these tail lights:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=52194#.VDKmJJ0o6Uk
And I have some that you can paint the rocket again if you are wanting a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor