Sluggish Car need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
I have a 85 cutlass with a 350 vortech bored over 30 with headers 96 year with a 350 transmission with a 2800 stall my car is sluggish Can't even do a burn out car runs strong transmission doesn't slip or anything feel all gears but car is sluggish off the line and sluggish while driving have to give it extra throttle to get it movin how I want people have told me it could be the 2800 stall converter so I was thinking just to put a stock converter in it and it hopefully fix the problem any ideas thanks
-Donell

Casey78

Apprentice
Oct 3, 2014
Topeka Kansas
Id say its your rear end gears my car was the same i put it to the floor and it took what felt like a mile to hit 70mph. I've got an all bone stock 305 to a turbo 200 but my rear end was swapped with a 3.08 posi maybe your rear end my car has balls since I swapped out the 2.27 or whatever it was it sucked though

jmerc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2009
hae you checked the timing? maybe its retarded a bit, that's where I would start.

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
I just bought the car a week ago I sent a text to the previous owner regarding the gear ratio. But about the timing I know a little about cars but not alot the timing seems good cranks on a dime no vibrations hiccups or misfires. But its like when im driving from a stop I can hit it first gear feels good could be better the car revs high but the car catches speed slowly well accrelate poorly like im towing something up a hill or period .Feels the same when im in reverse gotta give it extra throttle to to get it to back up But im waiting for the guy to give me a respone back about the gear ratio.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you just bought the car then I suggest you change the rear end oil since you don't know if it was ever changed and then you'd find out what the ratio is. Did you test drive the car before you bought it?

Casey78

Apprentice
Oct 3, 2014
Topeka Kansas
26ae8c384a4b8692aecc0945733e203e.jpg
my happiness starts with a tag

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
pontiacgp said:
If you just bought the car then I suggest you change the rear end oil since you don't know if it was ever changed and then you'd find out what the ratio is. Did you test drive the car before you bought it?
Okay I will when I get off work and I did but the car didn't have power steering , I just put a new pump in . So I couldn't really hit it like I wanted it too . Thank you.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd check the timing first and then the plugs. Since you have headers get a infrared thermometer and take a reading on each cylinder to make sure they are all firing and similar in tempature

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor