Rear wheel cylinders 442 vs regular Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
Know this may sound stupid, was looking to order new wheel cylinders for my 87 442, Rock Auto lists some of the wheel cylinders are for cars with code Y engine, didn't think there was any difference in the rear wheel cylinders, but have not changed one yet on this car. Does anyone know if the 442 code 9 engine have a different wheel cylinder over the code Y standard 307 engine cars?

Mark

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Mat1227 said:
Know this may sound stupid, was looking to order new wheel cylinders for my 87 442, Rock Auto lists some of the wheel cylinders are for cars with code Y engine, didn't think there was any difference in the rear wheel cylinders, but have not changed one yet on this car. Does anyone know if the 442 code 9 engine have a different wheel cylinder over the code Y standard 307 engine cars?

Mark

There is no difference but if you're ordering new wheel cylinders for a drum brake set up then why not upgrade to the S10 cylinders? I've never done it because I have rear disk but it's a popular swap.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
The wheel cylinders list they fit an S10, are there something different about an S10 wheel cylinders, and do you know what year S10 I need to look for?

Mark

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The S10 wheel cylinders used as an upgrade are for S trucks with manual brakes, they have a bore of 7/8" as compared to a Gbody or power brake S10 that have a 3/4" bore. Its a very popular swap with the turbo Buick guys to help hold boost at the line.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
I got the S10 wheel cylinders installed, along with all SS brake lines, just need to complete bleeding the lines. When did GM start to use these spring clips on Wheel cylinders, Horrible design (my opinion) last ones I changed were bolted in.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor