Anti-Freeze leaking from ABOVE my Trans. 86 Cutlass 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audio96

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2014
Got a 1986 Cutlass. 307. 'Metric' transmission stamped on the transmission case.
There appears to be anti-freeze leaking from above the transmission. It rolls around the trans and drips where a black shroud is covering a bottom sections of the trans. I suspect that it's a freeze plug leaking. I've been trying to find a diagram where the plug is and how to get to it -- no luck. Any help would be appreciated. I do a lot of my own work, so I play to tackle this one, too. I pray I don't have to drop the transmission.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: Anti-Freeze leaking from ABOVE my Trans. 86 Cutlass 30

If it is actually above the trans, it may be a heater hose, fitting, or intake manifold gasket. Clean the motor and inspect. If it is coming from inside the inspection cover then it is probably a freeze plug. Good hunting!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

My money is on a leaky intake gasket. very common issue on those 307s.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA

The first thing to check is the heater control valve located at the rear passenger side of the intake. This is the most likely source of the leak.

Audio96

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2014

Thanks "Joe". It was the Heater Control Valve after all. I replaced it about 4 years back, so it only took 10 minutes to do. So glad it was an easy fix and less than $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor