Engine loss question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83ho87gn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2013
Hey guys I have a question, I have an 83 ho all stock, rebuilt it about 4 years ago and everything has been fine since then, about 2 weeks ago im having a problem as Im driving the car almost feels like it has a miss or an engine stumple and if you watch the tach it will jump like it lost signal for a sec when this happens, so I was thinking ignition related or something, I had a spare cap and coil and module changed all that out, still done it I noticed while changing it the dizzy had just alittle more slop as in up and down movement than I like to see so crossing my fingers I was hoping that was it I put in a new dizzy which came with another module and its still doing it. I checked all my grounds I know to check. anyone have any ideas, im alittle stumped right now. If it helps when its just sitting and running doesn't seem to be a problem, I can hold my foot to the gas and let it sit at 2k or 3k and no issues, only seems to be doing it while im driving. Thanks in advance!!!!
Jamie

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Check the plug wires and see if anything is jumping around. Works best at night with you foot on the break and bring it up on the RPMs and see if their are sparks jumping around under load.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
One time when I had similar symptoms on my caddy it came down to the same problem as I had on a silverado too: the aftermarket distributor I went with was a fraction of an inch (or should I say a few mm) too high so the distributor cap was occasionally encountering friction at the worst times - moments I was trying to accelerate fast! ; so of course I switched to a more low profile dist cap and each time it solved the problem b/c the dist cap didn't stick during acceleration anymore. I believe I went with 'Accel' brand b/c it looked smaller than the stock cap that came on the dist

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Double post

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Possibly the fuel pump getting weak, fuel filter plugged or maybe accelerator pump weak. Check your ignition timing as well, both initial and total to see if they are within your original settings(vacuum advance disconnected). If you can recreate the symptom with the car in gear with your foot on the brake then note timing at the point just prior to RPM drop.(vacuum advance disconnected). Compare timing degree at that RPM with the same RPM point of the no load test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor