gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericef13

n00b
Oct 9, 2014
Is there anyone that rebuild your gauge cluster for my 87 442? My fuel gauge is really sluggish, my oil pressure flutters around, my volts seem really low after putting in a new battery, my temp. gauge is the only one that seems normal along with my tach and speedo. Do they just need rebuilt or is there a bigger picture behind all of this?

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I would be curious to know about this too, my gauges are totally wrong as well

SupremeClassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2014
My rally cluster seems to be shot as well. I have to guesstimate if im about to run outta gas.
Beating on it moves it, kind of fixes it. But I don't think its accurate.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Lol. come on guys. You don't rebuild the gauge cluster to fix the bad readings. Follow the wires... You drop the gas tank and redo the fuel float - which is most likely stuck at a funny angle. For the oil pressure you replace a sensor but I forgot what its called b/c been a long time. The fuel float is not really worth pursuing unless you're preparing to do an engine swap b/c it can become time consuming to remove the whole gas tank and replace those stupid reinforcement straps that always rust out. Not sure they still have it for our cars but I got the gas tank straps from a JC whitney catalog before. If the problem isnt the float or sensor than just clean the contact points to the cluster with some endust and a proper dusting cloth (NOT COTTON or paper towels it leaves little white fibers everywhere)

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Pull the cluster out and clean the copper circuit board with a pencil eraser or extra fine steel wheel or the like. Be sure to take all the bulb housings out and the nuts that hold the circuit board on and clean around them, be sure to get everything back snug.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
It is most likely the contacts on the printed circuit. As was said, clean with a pencil eraser on all contacts including the bulb contacts. Make sure there are no breaks/cracks in any of the traces. This will most likely fix you up.

Oct 21, 2014
In the Indiana Auto and RV there is 2 places that will rebuild or recondition the gauge cluster...one in Mich. and other in Minn.!

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
When I worked at a Chevrolet dealership we used to send all our gauge clusters and radios out for service to H&R Auto Radio Service. I believe they are certified to do OEM General Motors warranty work, as well as many other manufacturers. Years ago, around 2006, I had some gauge problems myself, with my '84 Z28 Camaro, and they fixed all my gauge problems. When I sent my gauges out to them it was one flat fee for all the repairs. We were in New Jersey and would ship the gauges and radios to PA for service and they would ship them back to us. Give them a call and ask some questions, information is free. I recommend this shop highly.

http://hrautoradio.com/

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
here is a forum member selling a cluster right now. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53829#.VFAGOxYYM3h If you want to keep your car on the road but clean all the contacts this is the way to do it; you buy one like that and rebuild it yourself so you actually learn something for once instead of throwing money in the trash, then you take the one thats in your car out and rebuild that one after you swap the one you know works correctly back into the dash. That way, you never end up trying to drive the car w/ no gages, and you have a backup cluster - or worst case scenario a cluster you can dump on here for like $25-50 to a beginner next time you're short on cash but I'd say try to keep it. Not like the gauges are getting any cheaper as time goes on. I'd say wear some gloves when messing w/ the contact points. In my experience the oil on your hands is the worst enemy to a contact point on a old electronic. Nothing more irritating than putting something back together and it just fails a few day later b/c touched it too much w/ sweaty hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor