My ZZ3 Crate Motor Specs-HP&TQ HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon350Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
So I picked up a fully rebuilt ZZ3 5.7L crate short block for $300 plus I got a tote FULL of extra parts :D .
Anyways,my questions is can anyone tell me my ESTIMATED HP & TQ?

Factory rating is 345HP &TQ unknown.It has 9.8:1 Domed Forged hypereutectic pistons,Forged crank,"pink" rods,was told a RV Roller Cam(.484 lift I believe)& Lifters,Rebuilt 1.94 heads w/SS springs- 64cc w/Stock rockers(i know need roller :cry: ),Performer EPS manifold,600CFM? 1405 edelbrock carb,Accel HEI w/ curve kit,High volume oil pump,160*thermostat,Aluminum Radiator & will have full length headers w/True duals.I also have a complete serpentine setup that I got with it that I will be installing.Im sure im forgetting something.

Anyone have a idea what kind of #'s im lookin at & how this thing is gonna run?
Thanks to anyone that responds.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Sounds like the stock heads that came with it. The answer is not enough isnt it. I duno wasn't it 345hp 390tq. Should be real peppy and a fun driver in a gbody with some decent gears. It only needs roller lifters for that last 5hp or more importantly if you only have gears and a transmission that leaves you spining the motor hard often. Got 3.73s a 3 speed and short tires? You might like them to help keep your valvetrain alive.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
GM rated them at 345hp/387tq. They also used 1.5 stamped rockers. The ZZ3 heads were the same as L98 heads IIRC. Those had 58cc chambers so you might be giving up a little compression. Your intake is similar design but your cam is a bit smaller. Depending on what your exact cam specs are, I would estimate your power numbers to be in the same ballpark. $300 was a good snag! My uncle has one in a '35 Ford sedan and it has more than enough power. I think you'll like it.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Here's the specs on the ZZ3 engine:

High Output 350 (ZZ3)

PN: 10185072
Cost: about $3000 (includes many accessories, intake, distributer and water pump)
Displacement: 350 cubic inches (5.7L)
Horsepower: 345 at 5200 rpm
Torque: 387 lb-ft at 3250 rpm
Max RPM: 5800
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Bore & Stroke: 4.00" x 3.48"
Pistons: Cast hypereutectic aluminum
Rods: 1053 forged steel "pink"
Heads: Cast aluminum, angled plugs, 58cc
Head specs: 1.94"/1.50"
Camshaft: Hydraulic roller tappet
Cam specs: 208/221 .474"/.510" 308/316 (advertised)
Idle: 750 rpm

FYI, and not to be nit-picky, but pistons are either forged or hypereutectic, not both. It also sounds like you have rebuilt stock iron heads, not the ZZ3 alum heads. You are probably somewhere between 9-1 and 9.5-1 compression with the bigger 64cc chamber vs. the ZZ3 58cc heads. Also, the alum heads flowed better than the iron heads. My wild guess is 300-325 hp for your engine.

I'm sorry if it sounds as if I'm trying to rain on your parade, I'm not. You did REAL good for scoring that setup for $300.!!! Especially with all the goodies you got. You didn't get hurt a bit. I just wanted you to know if it feels like you are down on power, and why. You absolutely have an excellant foundation for future upgrades.

Oregon350Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
Ive got a sturdy rebuilt TH350 and am thinking of 3.42s.My wheels/tires are 245/35/20x8(cant remember exactly right now) .As far as my heads go,they arent the original Alum. ones.I was told they were worked to 2.02 but they were used for a week from a friend and cant really rely on that so I go by the #'s.They are rebuilt tho.

86Cutlass383SR:Yea that was a typo,They are speed-pro hypereutectic 9.8:1.Also theres no rain over here,the more info and opinions I can get the better. So say my heads are 2.02's,What would I be lookin at then with the serpentine setup on it? Are those #'s including exhaust or strictly motor or does that matter? lol I just wanna get close to that 400 mark and show these :puke: imports what a real car is.

Yea I couldn't believe it when I got home and checked the numbers and it said ZZ3 at the end.The tote full of parts was probly worth about $300 itself.Its a complete budget build.lol Ive got a total of about $3500 or so in my car which includes EVERYTHING(car,motor,rebuilt trans,wheels/tires,and other new misc.stuff).So I think im not doin to bad for the condition of everything and what Ive got.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
The 3.42s three speed & relatively short tire will have it turning some rpm but not excessive the stamp rockers should be fine for now unless you spend all your time on the interstate. Biggest thing you can do to leave the imports suckin your tailpipes at the lights will be better traction from a better tire. Like a 275/40/17 drag radial or a 275/50/15 drag radial. I know that don't work with them rims so its either sell em or spin. Spining looks cool until some import with less power or even power to weight leaves you sucking in dust.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
With that short-block, you can upgrade heads and cam at a later date if needed. Ever heard of a ZZ430? That was the engine you have (might have been a ZZ4 but still basically the same as yours) with the GM LT4 Hot Cam with 1.6 rockers and GM fast burn alum heads. 430 hp. Read about it here: http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/Engine-Trans.html

With a TH350 I'd go no more than a 3.42 gear. If you go to a 200-4R then you could go up to a 3.73. I'm not quite sure how the crate motors are rated. Most engines today are rated with all accessories and full exhaust I believe.

The imports will be thinking :shock: :wtf: and yours will be :rofl:

The main advantage imports have that we never will is weight. Or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor