The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

double hump heads-screw in stud advice

Articles about swapping engines and anything related, mounts, exhaust considerations etc.
Rooster
Greasemonkey

double hump heads-screw in stud advice

Postby Rooster on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Well I got my heads back from the machine shop today.They are 462 castings,2.02/1.60 stainless valves,bronze? guides,surfaced, .500 lift springs,59cc comb.chambers. They are tapped for 3/8 screw in studs.CR is 10.4:1. They were bare castings when I took them in,so my mach. shop guy went all the way through them,except studs and guide plates, as i was already looking at divorce if I spent 1 more cent,LOl What studs should I use? It's basically going on a street/performance application,350 4-bolt SBC .30 over w/dished pistons,pretty much stock short block. The cam is a Melling C-400-P Hyd. .447 lift/222 dur.Just wondering if I need to use guideplates also.I'm thinking ARP studs,probably stock size,don't really know.Anyone have a part number,that would be greatly appreciated.
86 Cutlass Supreme
GMPP 350/290 Crate engine
TH350 Trans
2nd owner.

86Cutlass383SR
Royal Smart Person

Re: double hump heads-screw in stud advice

Postby 86Cutlass383SR on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:06 am

Chevy rocker studs are made in both 3/8 and 7/16. Both use the same 3/8 hole in the head.

With a cam that size, I'd just use the stock sized 3/8 studs. If you might be looking at upgrading the cam sometime in the future and need new rocker arms anyway, then it'd be cheaper to just install the 7/16 studs and rockers now. The 7/16 will be more stable with stiffer springs and more lift.

Sorry, I don't have a part number for ya but you could probably call Summit or whoever you're buying them from and they could tell you the correct numbers.
Doug Gulley

86 Cutlass, 383 been rebuilt...needs installed, AFR 190, Accel SuperRam, 30# SVO inj, 58mm tb, AFPR, aftermarket T56, 17x8.5" Rondell #58's, C5 brakes, *under construction*

Planned upgrades*** 245/45 tires, LS1 rear discs, rear suspension upgrades, etc...etc...

Got Torque???

I can explain it to you, but, I can't understand it for you

Return to Engine / Swaps etc.