noisy sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

OK so quite a few of you know about all my trials and tribulations. Anyways changed the oil in the car today with vr1 full race 10w-30. This is the first oil change. No miles but had lots of issues and been sitting s year. Got the Msd e curve correct yesterday after having all sorts of issues.

Today ran the motor to temp then adjusted valves to zero lash + 1/4 turn preload per Howards cams recommendation. Anyways in my build thread some of you have saw me mention a rrrrrrring sound. I thought maybe the valve adjustment would have solved it. No go still here. Please don't tell me its hurt yet again.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
anyone have a clue? you can kind of hear it in the video

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Sounds like it might be coming from the accessories. Try taking all the belts off and starting it to see if the noise if still there. You won't hurt it running it for a couple of minuets like that.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
seawolf18 said:
Sounds like it might be coming from the accessories. Try taking all the belts off and starting it to see if the noise if still there. You won't hurt it running it for a couple of minuets like that.
I agree. He could even just take one belt off at a time.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well after i took that video the water pump did start making a clunk and squeal. however i thought it still did it when i ran it for a few minutes the other day with no accessories. im guessing the bearings in the water pump ate it.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
This is upsetting as I think I have major issues now

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Yesterday that little sqweal found was there then developed into a metal scrape sound with a clunk here and there. I thought it might have been the water pump bearings or something but with that sound sqweal still there I'm really concerned. The original noise I was inquiring about was almost a diesel sound while running.

The sqwealing sounds like front of motor but I don't know.All i know is this is making me sick. I have do much wrapped up in thus and have had nothing but issues. First roller can, first roller rockers, first time using clouds 2 piece front cover w/ button. First aluminum heads.

Please help. Sucks Cuz I just ordered my fuel injection

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
does the cover have a thrust button or wear plate?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Just out of curiosity do you have a thrust bearing or some sort of thrust washer behind the cam gear, between it and the block? Also what is the cam button made of Nylon, aluminum, or roller? And where the button hits the back of the cover, is this aluminum or does it have a steal insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor