The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

Drop spindles -- Any warnings or advice?

Stuff like brakes, frame, springs/shocks, tranny's, etc. etc.
DRIVEN
Royal Smart Person

Drop spindles -- Any warnings or advice?

Postby DRIVEN on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 pm

I recently picked up a set of vintage Appliance Wiremags and I'm in the process of polishing them and selecting tires. I was planning to adjust my ride height once I get them on. Preliminary measurements indicate that I'll be looking at about a 2" drop. Since there are soooo many spring options out there, I thought I would simplify my life and just go with some drop spindles. So, here's my questions for all you guys who have gone this route;
Are there any manufacturers to avoid? Any issues to be aware of? Any real bargains I should check out? Did you regret using spindles instead of springs?
'79 Cutlass - 305, '66 El Camino - 400, '35 Ford Sedan - DOHC 4.6, '35 Ford pickup - 283, '72 510 wagon - Quad4, '82 Goldwing - 1100

megaladon6
Royal Smart Person

Re: Drop spindles -- Any warnings or advice?

Postby megaladon6 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm

g-body spindles already have absolutely shitty geometry. drop spindles just make things work. now if this is a show car or something like that (ie won't ever be driven for handling) you're ok.
if you want handling, the best thing is the s-10 blazer spindles with dual piston calipers, and SC&C's stage 2 kit, with eibach or SPC springs. the spindles do nothing for handling, but they do use hub bearings and much better brakes.
FYI, b-body and f-body spindles slightly improve handling, but it's not worth it. the SC&C setup is much better without the compromises
87 monte ss t-top 200-4r trans. 383ci 4-bolt, 9.7: hypereutectics, forged rods, vortec heads, xe274 cam, Q-Jet-home modified, Evans NPG+ coolant

patmckinneyracing
Royal Smart Person

Postby patmckinneyracing on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:42 pm

I picked up a set of brand new s10 drop spindles off ebay for $120 and used 5660 moog springs and I have absolutely no complaints. This gives my car excellent handling and strong resistance to body roll. It's not a hard ride, but also not too soft, if that makes sense.

drogg1
Royal Smart Person

Postby drogg1 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Did you cut those springs pat?
'83 Monte Carlo CL T-Top
383c.i. 13.0:1
Hopefully running E85. PM me if you have any advice on E85 fuel systems or converting a gas Holley or Quadrajet to E85.

1983regal
G Body Guru

Postby 1983regal on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:18 pm

I do not understand why everyone says drop spindles make the steering geometry worse, they only change the centerline of the spindle. A dropped spindle does not affect ride quality and does not affect the alignment. Please explain how it affects these items. I have had a set of drop spindles on my blazer for almost ten years without having it aligned after install, without any abnormal wear on my tires. My tires have almost 50,000 miles and probably still at least 8/32's left of tread. Either my vehicle defies logic or they do not affect the vehicle like everyone thinks. I would recommend drop spindles over springs for ride quality. Just my opinion. I have ground force spindles on my blazer not a single problem in ten years.

1983 Buick Regal; somewhat stock for now.
1991 Chevy S10 Blazer; daily driver turned drag truck.
1993 Chevy S10 Blazer: Wife's daily driver.

patmckinneyracing
Royal Smart Person

Postby patmckinneyracing on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Nope I did not cut the coils. I tried cutting the coils a few years ago and kept the stock spindles. That screwed up the geometry big time. Drop spindles without cutting the 5660 coils is the way to go.

DRIVEN
Royal Smart Person

Postby DRIVEN on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:45 am

My car has stock springs and certainly won't be raced. The ride quality is fine but most importantly - I know the ride height and the feel of the ride. All that would be affected by the spindles would be the ride height. The geometry is probably as good as it will be. It seems that springs for these cars can be somewhat of a wild card along with affecting the geometry. I figure spindles are more of a sure bet. While searching around I've found prices from $120 - $500. Is there any difference that I'll notice on a driver?
'79 Cutlass - 305, '66 El Camino - 400, '35 Ford Sedan - DOHC 4.6, '35 Ford pickup - 283, '72 510 wagon - Quad4, '82 Goldwing - 1100

regalman4925
Royal Smart Person

Postby regalman4925 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 am

i want to know if the people say that either the springs or the spindles screwed up the geometry had a alignment done or not, without that either one will be screwed up
84 regal getting full frame up into a CUSTOM-nothing stock about it/20s/air ride/shaved everything/dakota digital dash/355 all dressed up, t-type interior, GN hood n spoiler
86 442 t-top-in progress, 350 vortec based/gmpp chevy/KZ200r4, 17 centerlines, resto-mod. saved from being scraped, stock apperance but built drivetrain, nothing that can not be reveresed to original
84 Cutlass calais-blue-305/th350/14" cragar, getting bagged and making it look old school
85 riviera/all factory except 20s
90 eldorado, sky blue, factory moonroof,e&g white top /16" niches and vogues
05 impala-nothing done to it, the other halfs car
01 sierra slt-driver, 20s

27' Baja 250 sport, gen vi 454, crane 731cam,full roller motor, crane ignition, air gap, gil 4" stainless exhaust, too much to list! this is starting to become something crazy!

i am not a purest by any means, anything gm can go in any gm in my opinion, if you dont like my chevy motor in my car then make me a offer i cant refuse, buy it from me and change it :) lol

pontiacgp
Royal Smart Person

Postby pontiacgp on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 am

I have camaro spindles with the 5660 coils with 1/2 coil cut off, lower lower ball joints and a 36 mm bar and car rotates the corners exceptionally well. With my set up the tie rods are parallel to the ground and my uppers are high enough over the horizontal plane. Drop spindles give you a lowered look with none of the advantages of lowering the car to improve the geometry and roll centre.

drogg1
Royal Smart Person

Postby drogg1 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 am

pontiacgp, around how much do you think your setup lowers your ride height? Not an exact figure but a good guess.
'83 Monte Carlo CL T-Top
383c.i. 13.0:1
Hopefully running E85. PM me if you have any advice on E85 fuel systems or converting a gas Holley or Quadrajet to E85.

Next

Return to Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels