Help choosing new coils front and rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Its time to change out the tired original springs on my 79 Grand Am and need a little help.
I'm running
245/45 ZR17 on the front
275/40 ZR17 on the rear
My drivers rear looks low. Also need a little more clearance on the front since the tires will rub @ full right or left turn .
I dont mind a stiffer ride, higher or lower stance as long as it sits pretty much level..?
Factory 301, A/C.
Here is link I've found...

http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

Any help is appreciated.
Here are some pictures of what my car looks like now...thanks.

http://www.grandamman.com/my_1979.html

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the front I have the (S10) moog 5660 with 3/4 of a coil cut off. It's also lowered another 1/2" with tall lower ball joints. The front drops 1" cutting 1/2 coil off. The back has the (Phoenix 83) moog 5659 cut 1 coil off and using an F body isolator so I can use the open spring on top. That is the spring with the highest spring rate (162 lbs) I could find in a moog which is higher now that it cut and it's a constant rate spring

Attachments

• P1010189.JPG
    P1010189.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,100

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I used 1979 Firebird Formula springs I just happened to have. They were spec'ed for a '79 Formula 301 w/AC and automatic from ESPO in PA.http://www.springsnthings.com/general-motors-suspension-parts I spoke to a nice Lady who asked many questions so the right springs would be ordered. They fit the Firebird great and it sat perfectly. So much so that I used them in the 301 powered Bonnewagon. I knew the ride height would be an inch taller thank's to the A/G front end being shorter than an F body, and that's what I wanted. It worked well I think. I don't know the MOOG # but you might give them a call and see what they recommend. The rears are "High Jackers" from JC Whitney, with 3-4" lift built in. Really "old school".
P7150163-1.jpg

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
pontiacgp said:
for the front I have the (S10) moog 5660 with 3/4 of a coil cut off. It's also lowered another 1/2" with tall lower ball joints. The front drops 1" cutting 1/2 coil off. The back has the (Phoenix 83) moog 5659 cut 1 coil off and using an F body isolator so I can use the open spring on top. That is the spring with the highest spring rate (162 lbs) I could find in a moog which is higher now that it cut and it's a constant rate spring

nice front end on the GP, how was that done?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
pontiacgp said:

nice front end on the GP, how was that done?

thanks, I used a plasma cutter and grinder to get rid of the centre t section of the bumper and it's reinforcement. It took alot of weight off the front. Then I capped the openings by welding in sheet metal and to fill the hole I used two GP grills and cut off part of the bottom on one to use on top and part of the top on the lower one and glued them together. I was able to use the stock brackets to bolt it in. It was supposed to be temporary but it's still there..

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's a cool looking car overall, Steve.
I really like the frontend treatment. I knew it looked different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Longroof79 said:
It's a cool looking car overall, Steve.
I really like the frontend treatment. I knew it looked different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. :)

Thanks for the compliment..the front end does that to alot of people, I get some curious looks. The grill was a last minute thought but I have gotten some good reviews on it so I might make a nicer copy of it this winter. I think the grill plays a part in confusing people cause it is a GP grill but it's different. The big problem with the front is that dam huge licence plate.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The front bumper is steel and urethane, if I recall correctly? Yeah, I know what you mean about front license plates. That's the nice thing about Florida...no hideous front plates. I was happy when I removed my original NY plates and threw the front bracket in a box somewhere.

I want to lower this car a bit as well. It has cargo coils in the rear. I was wondering if I can cut a coil or less out of them . They have a pigtail end. Which might be tricky.
I heard it can be done, also using an F-body isolater.

Sorry Kent, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. :oops:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yes back on subject...I use the F body isolater in the rear and it works perfect with an open ended spring. The center of it is hollow so it sits on the bubble that kept the pig tail in place

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Steve,
I guess I have other things to complete before I get to redo my suspension. It's on the to-do list. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor