F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams (MORE pics added)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
All this bracing talk got me to thinking.

A few hours later this is what I made up.

Frame with "stock" and aftermarket bracing:
Copyof1979frame-2.png

GM body braces, forgot to make a legend on this one:
CopyofCopyofAAAAAAA.jpg

Now the tuff one to do, overlay:
CopyofAAAAAAAA.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Reactions: 2 users

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
Is this all a good idea? I wanna make my car handel well. is this the route i need to go?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
2000.malibu.ls said:
Is this all a good idea? I wanna make my car handel well. is this the route i need to go?

Every little bit helps. Dont forget about boxing in the frame also.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice job on the diagrams, Shotgun!

These braces were fairly easy to find in the boneyards. But not the case anymore.
I was fortunate to find the ones I have on the car and had some extras that I later sold off.
The braces do make a world of difference in handling and stability. Between that, a good set of gas shocks and replacing all the body mount bushings it's like a different car. I also have GN swaybars and close ratio steering box.

The only ones I don't have are the core support to firewall braces. Those are much harder to find. But I'm satisfied with what I had currently.
I will eventually add a HD hitch or cross brace in the rear.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
dan2286 said:
2000.malibu.ls said:

Every little bit helps. Dont forget about boxing in the frame also.

I'm chasis illiterate, can you tell me how that works? Ive got a freind who told me "tell me where to weld and ill weld it" so any visual/dimensional cues you can give me helps!

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
2000.malibu.ls, Like Longroof says, do as many as you can. They make a huge difference in the overall handling and ride of the car.

My wagon, can't use the seat braces, but has or will be getting the rest.

The Jounce bars really helped steering, no more flex where the box mounts.

The second best was the hitch. Do a search here. I posted a shot of both the hitch and a brace I made on the Cutlass.

I have not found boxing the frame needed, yet. Between all the bracing and poly body mounts, the cars gets plenty stiff.

I drag race the Cutlass so it has a rollbar, so the frame is braced fine.

The Wagon is my driver so it will never come apart enough to box the frame.

Longroof79, Thanks.

Get that hitch ASAP, made a world of difference on my 83 wagon.

Reactions: 1 user

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I am so copying these to my hard drive.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Freaking sweet! It's nice to be able to see them like this. There's even a few I didn't know about.

What's up with the GN body bushings? Were they solid or something? And I never heard of the LCA mount brace, does that help a lot?

But I think you forgot one. The GN bracing behind the seat. Not the X bars but this:

http://home.att.net/~buickGNX/GNX/media/brace.jpg

79_GBody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2007
Columbus, OH
Phoenyx said:
Freaking sweet! It's nice to be able to see them like this. There's even a few I didn't know about.

What's up with the GN body bushings? Were they solid or something? And I never heard of the LCA mount brace, does that help a lot?

But I think you forgot one. The GN bracing behind the seat. Not the X bars but this:

http://home.att.net/~buickGNX/GNX/media/brace.jpg

I think he's talking about these type of weld in LCA mount braces...basically just gussets for the LCA mount http://www.buickgn.com/hrframebraces.htm Also on the bracing behing the seat some other g-body's had the bracing built in too. My 79 GP has that bracing and on some other g-body's that space is wide open. I'll try to take a pic of it and post it tomorrow.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor