fiberglass hood or steel hood with scoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Something I've been thinking of lately is whether to get a cowl induction fiberglass hood or run a steel hood with a "mailbox" hood scoop. Either way I need the additional hood clearance for a carb spacer so either will do, but it's just a matter of personal preference, the look of the scoop and the cost. I personally like both ideas, but seeing as though I have a strict budget this year the cheaper I can get on something I need,the better.
The cowl induction hood is $600 with shipping and the hood scoop is around $110.
What do you guys think personally? Is it worth saving the money over the hood by getting the scoop?
buickscoop.JPG

gla092-b_2.jpg

And a video of how the scoop looks on a gbody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SspR-l3BYzg

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
I know everyone has a personal prefference here but I'd definately go with a hood. The add on scoop will pretty much always look like just that... an add on.
I guess what type of hood would also depend on your preference but either way I would get a hood with the scoop/cowl/scoop"S" or whatever already molded in. You'll be happier with the finish in the long run.
But the hurst type scoop was an add on anyway..... so that would work too if that's the look you are going for.

whiskybent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2010
I like the 4 inch cowl induction hood myself,i had about talked myself into getting a 2 inch cowl because i was afraid the 4 inch would block to much of the view for a daily driver....but that 4 inch just looks better so thats probably what i will go with on my regal

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I think i'm going with the scoop, first anyway. I'd like to test fit it and see how it looks on my cutlass and if i dont like it i can always return it. I figure it's cheaper to return a little scoop than a whole hood itself.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
My choice 4" cowl hood looks sweet thats what im getting.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
http://charliemckinley.com/442/DSC02031.JPG

And 442 stands for 4 barrel 4 speed and dual exhaust..... (check the link)
And Pro stock cars are stock cars with 500 ci engines with dual 4's....
And nascar stands for National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing...... (atleast they are using cowl induction)(all brands)
And an 86 442 was considered a muscle car at the time.......
And every other Mustang out there has a cowl hood on it.....

And what was your point again????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor