The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero

how to replace window sweeps?

Articles about Body and Trim related issues.
G_Body_Enthusiast

how to replace window sweeps?

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:13 pm

im going to be ordering a set of sweeps soon and i'm looking for info on how to replace these things.

please dont tell me i have to remove the glass. i dont think i can bear to hear that.
1985 Grand Prix: the never ending work in progress

Blake442
Royal Smart Person

Postby Blake442 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Well, you don't have to remove the glass, though it is incredibly easy to do so (I've had windows in and out in a matter of minutes).

Remove your upper and lower door panel.
Find the lower stops, mark their position and loosen them enough to get them out of the way.
Roll the window down past the belt line (that's why you loosened the stops).
Unscrew the old sweep and install the new one.
Put everything back together.
Ta da!
'85 Oldsmobile 442--Olds 455-TH400-8.5"-3.73s-T-tops-non a/c
'83 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser--Chevy 350-TH350-non a/c
Past G's--'81 Regal, '84 El Camino, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '87 Cutlass Salon,
'81 Monte Carlo, '81 El Camino, '79 Malibu Wagon, '81 Century Estate Wagon

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:30 pm

cool so its not as hard as i thought it might be. no problem! lol

srercrcr
Royal Smart Person

Postby srercrcr on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:14 am

I've seen some aftermarket sweeps with the holes in the wrong place, just drill new ones.
Steve R
78 Grand Prix LJ - one owner
I sell GM service manuals and some GP parts

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:44 pm

the only ones ive seen are from 1aauto.com

when i get them we'll find out if the hole are in the right places.

how do i keep these things from dry rotting and cracking? armor all every so often? it took 20+ years before these things gave up but still i want them to last as long as possible. how know how long i may own this car.

srercrcr
Royal Smart Person

Postby srercrcr on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Well theyre rubber and they say silicone is good for rubber.
Steve R

85 Cutlass Brougham

Postby 85 Cutlass Brougham on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 am

A link to the sweeps in question? I ask because they are one of the last items on the list of crap I need to put my Cutlass back together.
1985 Cutlass Supreme Brougham (ex pizza delivery beater with 240,000 miles):
355 Chevy- 9.5:1 compression, Comp XE 262 cam, World S/R Torquer heads with 2.02's, Edelbrock Performer, 800CFM Q jet, Camaro ram air system,Edelbrock headers, Comp Magnum roller tip rockers,TH 200 4R, 3.23 rear, aluminum hood, IROC steering box, poly bushings, Eibach springs, etc. Cutlass build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=4982
Also: The Thing That Won't Die-1998 Nissan Frontier, 340,000 miles of pizza delivery.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:21 pm

they came in today!

and they look good.

i think i might take pics and do a write up on replacing them so those who have never done this before can see how it is done.

i just need a window crank handle removal tool. mine is missing and i think it was one of the tools stolen from me years ago.

they've come with screws and staples (screws for the door, staples for the door panel)

i need to get door clips first as i am going to need to replace them all, 24 year old door clips will not survive their removal.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:36 pm

i now have door clips!

i have no idea how many i'll need but i have 30 total. oreilly auto had them and are just like the originals.

i still need to get a window crank handle removal tool. i should have it done next week.

i'll try to get picks and do a write up so everyone can learn who hasnt done it before and hopefully avoid the mistakes i am sure to make.

i really oughta change the doors weather stripping but i didnt have the money for it. so i'm gonna have to take the door panels off once more in the future.

beermonkey9417
Royal Smart Person

Postby beermonkey9417 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:44 pm

ya dont have to buy a tool to remove the clips. just use a flathead screwdriver.
"Gimmie a pickle jar, I'll open that bitch up like a Motherfucker!"
Save Water, Drink Beer! Save A Tree, Eat A Beaver!
-'78 el camino, 307sbc, 14014416 heads, 1.6 roller tip rockers, holley 600 cfm carb, monte carlo interior, 200-4R, rockford 4.11 posi PO-MutherF#$kin-S viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8386
-'94 saturn sl1, 1.9l tbi, 85hp, sony explod headunit, 1200w sony explod amp, 2.4 farad cap, no muffler, jvc 3-way 6 1/2" all around, kicker 12" twin voice coil sub, 15" x 8" chrome rims. - R.I.P.
-'99 infinity I30 3.0 V6 on 17inch rims, 5 speed, stock so far...
-'07 47cc 2 stroke cag daytona, ported carb and #72 jet, stage 2 carbon fiber reed, race tuned exhaust, shwinn speedo, toyota badge, meat hook pegs, street fighter.
ImageImageImage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efzbqvwBF9E

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:05 pm

beermonkey9417 wrote:ya dont have to buy a tool to remove the clips. just use a flathead screwdriver.

i am NOT using a flathead screwdriver to remove a clip so close to the vinyl on my door panels. no thanks. i'll just spend a few bucks on a tool that wont gouge my door panel.

i have a bad history with using screwdrivers in ways they were not designed for.

srercrcr
Royal Smart Person

Postby srercrcr on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:31 am

There's a right tool for every job
Steve R

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:04 pm

i replaced the sweeps on the driver door. it went fairly well except the fitment of the outside sweep was for crap. i had to redrill the holes for a better fit, i lost 2 of the 5 screw for the outside sweep down into the door (the sweeps came with a bag of screws so its not a big deal) and i ran a drill bit into my hand when drilling for the inside sweep and i about lost my temper.

it looks pretty good. i had to remove the stop at the bottom and even then i barely had enough room to get one of the screws out of the outside sweep. the new door clips are an absolute dream come true. the door panel holds against the door firmly and looks better.

i had to drill new holes for the inside sweep as their staple holes werent even close to the originals. but aside from the drilling they went on fine and fit well.

it took me like an hour to do this since i had to keep getting tools i hadnt pulled out ahead of time. speaking of, i am so glad i bought that window crank handle remover. it makes removing the crank and putting the clip back into the handle a breeze.

i have the passenger door to do. there's not enough light during the evenings still so i ran out of light too fast. at least i know what it takes to do them.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Postby G_Body_Enthusiast on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 pm

folks do yourself a favor. if you get sweeps fro,m 1aauto.com, just drill new holes an inch from the holes in the outside sweeps. trying to enlarge the existing holes is just stupid. they put them too low and leave likes an 1/8th gap between the aluminum trim and the door's sheet metal.

so when i did the passenger side today i just went ahead and drilled new holes rather than trying to enlarge the holes in the sweep and reuse the existing holes. im glad i did. it took less time and it looks fine.

i'm done and i couldnt be happier. they look good and i got a good look in the doors. the passenger door is in pretty good condition, some rust on the bottom on the inside but nothing major (the interior of the door looked good though). the driver door i may have to have redone or replace it one day. its got plenty of rust, no actual rot but...its bad enough to simply warrant getting another door and replacing this one some day.

srercrcr
Royal Smart Person

Postby srercrcr on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:47 am

Good job.
Did you see what other models the GP sweeps fit on?
Steve R

Next

Return to Body / Trim