Help with Pivot Pin/Broken Bolt Removal ***Pictures added***

Status
Not open for further replies.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
I need to find a way to remove a metal bolt that broke off inside of my tilt steering pivot pin.

I've tried drilling and heating the metal with a torch and then drilling but that hasn't given much yield either.

Would air tools be stronger than an electric drill? Are there any chemical methods or techniques that I could try?

This really is an emergency as I'm running out of time to get this done. Thanks in advance to you all.

**Update: These are pictures I just took today:

This is my self-made pivot pin puller with the pin attached. I've used this to take out one of the two pins. You can get an idea of how it works -
PIC_0003-5.jpg

This is the good pivot pin after removal. Note the threads on the inside-
PIC_0013-2.jpg

now this is the pivot pin still in the steering column. This one has about 1\4 of an inch of depth that I've been able to drill into.

PIC_0001-3.jpg

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu258/blizack/PIC_0002-
4.jpg

Now my plan is to have the pivot pin puller that I made welded into the pivot pin, and then use that to pull it out. My neighbor with his welder says that its probably not a good idea. What do you guys think?

Basically it would look like this but welded:
PIC_0009-2.jpg

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
Well if you were in TN I could help you out but in the mean time you should be able to get an easyout from a tool store or you can by them individually off of a snap-on truck for like three bucks.I imagine its broke flush with the surface your best bet at this point is stop drilling the remaining material of the bolt until you get an extractor that way you know what size drill bit to use.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
I forgot to mention that it is a screw extractor that broke off inside of the pivot pin. The threads didn't hold up very well and kind of lodged the bit inside of it. It is too tightly stuck to maneuver out and I've already tried drilling.

I was just reading that "the harder the metal, the slower the turning speed [of the drill]." Does this hold any truth? Should I really try drilling into this piece of hardened steel while operating the drill on slow speeds?

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
Yes the harder the material the slower you want to turn the bit, if you can find a fluted bit they work alot better than a standard bit.You need to dimple with a center punch and step up the drilling starting smaller as to give yourself a pilot.It sucks but I even had to resort to a pencil grinder to remove extractors that broke while using them :x

I heard if you heat it and push a candle into it the wax will melt into the threads to lubricate the threads. The guy that told me that said he did it on an engine block, so he was able to apply a lot of heat.
How big is the bolt? I have welded a nut over the top of a broken bolt and used a socket on the nut to back them out.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Another thing guys, the threads of the pivot pin were soft so they mended in with the threads on the pivot pin puller. So basically, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to use some force on this thing. Thanks guys.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Why don't you buy a left-handed drill bit or two? If you need to do some drilling, at least have the drilling direction working for you rather than against you.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor