Replacing Intake Manifold Gasket???

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I have a 88 Cutlass with a 307 engine and the intake manifold gasket is pretty chewed up and is leaking coolant pretty bad. I want to replace the gasket myself so Im wondering is this hard to do for a beginner. I know its just changing a gasket but Im kind of intimidated before of all the vacuum lines and other stuff that I might have to move and I dont want to mess anything up. Is this a hard job to do???

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
most likely from doing this job you will have vacumn lines coming off and there are a lot of them on the compuer controlled cars, its not too hard of a job but if you aren't confident with your mechanical skills i would say its worth it to find a buddy that knows what hes doing. you might have to take the distributor out depending on your engine so if you dont have any experience working with distributors its probably more of a headache than getting someone to help you

then again it's hard to learn without experiencing doing the stuff...

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Well I tried to do it but I caught problems right from the start, I tried to drain the radiator but I couldnt. The drain plug was turned all the way but wouldnt come out then as I kept trying to turn it the head snapped off :evil: so then I tried to get what was left of the drain plug off and had to use some vice grips but it wouldnt come out and instead stripped what was left of the drain plug. It was giving me a headache so I tried to remove the bottom radiator hose to drain the coolant. I loosened the clamp all the way with the screw driver but i cant get the hose off. Its all dirty and slippery because of the oil leaks over time so it was hard to grab and I couldnt get it off for nothing. Now I got a headache and said screw it and went back in the house lol.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the lower rad hose isn't in great shape you can sacrifice the hose and cut it to drain the coolant...as for the vacuum hoses if you have a camera take a few shots before you remove anything and take a few more as the job progresses. If your kit came with the gaskets for each end I never use them, I put a bead of silicone along those edges.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I got the drain plug off finally and drained the coolant, but now im gonna need a new drain plug lol. Then i took the top radiator hose off and the bypass hose off now Im trying to get the heatore hose off but that sucker wont budge i loosened the clamp and i can still see the imprints of the clamp on the hose. It seems like the easiest stuff is giving me hell right now lol. I guess I'll wait til my dad gets home to see if he can help me get the hose off if not i'll just cut it.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
If the hoses are that hard and oil soaked just cut them off and go buy some new ones, Replace the T-stat and the belts also. Now that you have broken the radiator pull it out and have it cleaned and checked..If the intake gasket is rotted that bad and leaking I would bet the radiator will probably have to be re-cored or replaced anyway.I hope your Intake manifold isn't all corroded and full of holes around the water jackets too. The aluminum ones rot from electrolysis, It sounds like you are in for a real education on this one. :(

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Ok so now that I got the hoses off the next thing the chilton manual says to do is remove the throttle linkage from the carb, how do I do that?

Attachments

• 2010-12-21_10-19-10_736.jpg
    2010-12-21_10-19-10_736.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,144

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's a snap clip that you pull the tab away so you can slide the clip down to the larger hole in the clip to remove it from the shaft..

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Just an FYI on the radiator drain plug. Righty tighty lefty loosy applies in this situation however it works in reverse. By tightening the petcock your actually opening it up to let the fluid out.

Something else to keep in mind is when you do get the manifold off, stuff some rags in the intake ports of the heads and lay a towel in the lifter valley to keep any junk from getting into the engine while you clean the surfaces.

You may also find it makes the process easier by removing the oil fill tube at the front of the block. It just takes a couple of smacks with a rubber mallet and you should be able to wiggle it out. To put it back in, just smack it with the rubber hammer.
Without doing that it makes it a bit tought to get the intake to sit straight the first time. You'll be hitting that tube and the distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor